Sonyvaio computer wont turn on

kpsharpe

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Hello,
My old Sony Vaio desktop PCV-RS100 had some issues where the clock reverted back to its manufacturing date when I turned it on. This morning it wouldn't turn on at all, no lights anywhere. Does it need a battery and where can I get one?

Solution

You need a cmos battery - google it online (shipping will be more than cost of the battery - or check your local repair shop or jewelry store.

You need a cmos battery - google it online (shipping will be more than cost of the battery - or check your local repair shop or jewelry store.

Solution

kpsharpe

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

I hope that's all it is, got pretty nervous when it wouldn't turn on. Thinking I may need a new PSU as well, after all it's a 10-year-old machine. :heink:

Thanks for the tip, ksiemb!

I may have skipped over your post too quickly. Saw the part about the date/time reverting. nhasian may be right re psu.

kpsharpe

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Thank you both for your replies.

Ever since that day it refused to turn on, it's been working. I turn it on every other day just to make sure it's okay and so far, so good. I used to turn everything off that was plugged into a surger all at once, but since it started with the back to manufacturing date when I turned it on, I allow it to just cut itself off and I shut off the monitor and printer by hand. Money's an issue right now, so hopefully it will last until I return to work.

Thanks again for your help! :hello: