Solved

New build, onboard sound won't disable, sb live stutters, glitch

I just bought a new MSI KA780G board, and I want to use my PCI SB Live! card and not the onboard sound (Realtek ALC888). I disabled onboard sound in the BIOS, but after installing Windows XP there are some HD Audio devices appearing in the device manager.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/637134/devicemanager.png

There are two sets of drivers I did NOT install, namely:

1) AMD HDMI Audio Drivers
2) Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

The board has onboard HDMI, DVI and VGA outputs, where I'm using only the DVI and VGA outputs.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is here? My songs skip intermittently in iTunes and I get strange glitch sounds coming through the speakers sometimes. It's like some part of the onboard sound is interferring with my SB Live.

Thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build onboard sound disable live stutters glitch
  1. It seems to me you would be better off using the onboard audio over an older soundblaster anyway.....but, you windows install is going to detect the current hardware and try to install the drivers for it, so you need to manually disable the onboard sound drivers, then install the SB card. But I would strongly recommend giving the onboard sound a try, and be sure you install and set up the realtek software from the MB disc or from their website.
  2. belial2k said:
    It seems to me you would be better off using the onboard audio over an older soundblaster anyway.....but, you windows install is going to detect the current hardware and try to install the drivers for it, so you need to manually disable the onboard sound drivers, then install the SB card. But I would strongly recommend giving the onboard sound a try, and be sure you install and set up the realtek software from the MB disc or from their website.

If I disabled onboard sound in the BIOS then it shouldn't be detecting any onboard sound devices of any kind when I install Windows. That's why I don't understand the entries in Device Manager, unless it has something to do with the HDMI output. I would use the onboard sound, but the front panel audio doesn't seem to work and I had other problems with the MSI audio software.
  3. Best answer
    You have to disable or uninstall the the drivers for the onboard, before you install the sound card. Although I am going with along with belial2K that the onboard would be superior to that old Sound Blaster live piece of crap. (Sorry, but my opinion of Creative products has been tainted due circumstance beyond my control and the intelligence of anyone making decisions at Creative Labs)
  4. double check your front panel connections on the MB, uninstall all your audio drivers, then download and install the latest drivers from the realtek site for XP.
  5. you encouraged me guys... I went ahead and uninstalled my SB drivers, pulled the card, then turned on my onboard audio again. I installed the latest drivers and I managed to get it all working. There is a special option in the software 'disable front panel jack detection for ac '97'. Once you check that the front panel works. The software is funky, but it has Noise Supression and Acoustic Echo cancellation on the microphone so maybe this will make my voice recognition software more accurate. thanks!
  6. mach77 said:
    I just bought a new MSI KA780G board, and I want to use my PCI SB Live! card and not the onboard sound (Realtek ALC888). I disabled onboard sound in the BIOS, but after installing Windows XP there are some HD Audio devices appearing in the device manager.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/637134/devicemanager.png

There are two sets of drivers I did NOT install, namely:

1) AMD HDMI Audio Drivers
    2) Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

The board has onboard HDMI, DVI and VGA outputs, where I'm using only the DVI and VGA outputs.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is here? My songs skip intermittently in iTunes and I get strange glitch sounds coming through the speakers sometimes. It's like some part of the onboard sound is interferring with my SB Live.

Thanks in advance.

Most newer RADEONS have a REALTEK codec on them. So it's probably NOT the motherboard sound you're having trouble disabling, it's probably the GRAPHICS CARD audio codec that's still there.
  7. This is incredible, my speech-to-noise ratio in Dragon Naturally Speaking is now 30 with onboard using Noise Supression (anything above 18 is pass I think, I usually get 12-15!).
  8. glad to see you got it all working! Once you get used to the realtek software you'll find it is very flexible, but sometimes it takes a little searching to find the correct menus and settings. With modern MBs the on board audio is almost always your best option, and sound cards are going the way of the dinosaur.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems