Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5970 - Triple Monitor set-up - same or different resolution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2009 8:13:50 PM

I am going to be purchasing the Radeon 5970 as i want to set-up multiple monitors. I have a 24" monitor with native resolution of 1920x1200 and display port connection but wish to buy a set of matching monitors which will sit alongside this main monitor. However, not sure if i have to get monitor with same resolution as i was actually planning on buying slightly smaller cheaper budget monitors.

However, before doing all this i have the following questions i would be grateful if someone knows the answers.

1. On a Triple monitor set-up can each monitor have its resolution set independantly? Or does each monitor have to have the same resolution?

2. In terms of performance does using each monitor on the same/different resolution make any difference?

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 12, 2009 9:21:44 PM

1) Each monitor can be set to a different resolution provided you are using windows extended mode.

2) For using the monitors in windows desktop to only gain extra viewing space, like multiple web browsers open, no it wont make a difference. However if you plan on using Eyefinity then your monitors must have the same resolution (Edit: or all your monitors will be limited to the smallest resolution of the 3). Physical size can be different, any 22" to 28" 1920x1200 will be fine.
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 1:31:35 AM

It would probably be weird if you played with eyefinity and had say two 19" monitors running at the same resolution as your 24" because the pixels per inch would be different and it would look distorted since the same field of view would be on both monitors making the image larger on the 24" then the other two. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what it seems like would happen).
!