Time for upgrade?

goez

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
So I want to say that Iv had my system for about two years now and I think it might be time to start looking at upgrading what Iv got...hopefully Ill be better off like that than building a new system, but thats where everyone's opinion comes in :p

Anyhoo here what Im running:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6400 @2.8
Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Graphics Card: PNY GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
Memory: GSkill 2x2GB PC2 8000
Hard Drive: 120GB + 500GB
Sound Card: Santa Cruz Turtle Beach
Operating System: Vista Ult x64

Now the thing that sparked this was the lag Iv been experiencing in games lately, I had OC'd the graphics card and I dunno I guess the thing is just worn out now? (I play games alot :p)
Anyway I was thinking Ill probably be needing a new cpu + video card, whats recommended for a reasonable price? Also taking into account something that will hopefully last me a good while?

Thanks!

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
I'm assuming the 120gb hd is old? The new 500gb hard drives are almost twice as fast as older models.

Have you tried overclocking your processor past 3ghz?

You could upgrade your graphics card to a 4890 or 5770.

I would recommend a i5 750 build, but that would get expensive as you will need new ram as well.

Depends on your budget. The board is a bit old so it probably does not support 45nm core2s or quads. Even so it should support the older Q6600 just fine. Add a decent cooler to that CPU, overclock it, and you'll get some great performance. As for the GPU I think a Radeon 5770 would probably be a good fit for you since it's less than $200, about as fast as a 4870 while using less power, and is a DX11 card ensuring you'll be able to play games for some time.

^ forgot to mention that you should update your BIOS and find out the best CPU your board will support. It would be best if it supported the 45nm CPUs since the older 65nm ones, like the Q6600, are a bit hard to find now. I doubt it since that would require overclocking the onboard memory controller, but it doesn't hurt to check :D.