Specs:
Intel Core2 Duo E6850 Overclocked 3.30GHz 4096KLB L2 Cache Dual-Core VT EM64T
4096MB DDR2 800MHZ PC2-6400 4x1024 Dual Rank Interleave
750GB 7200RPM SATAII 300MB/s 16MB Cache 11ms
2 - 300GB 15000RPM Seagate SAS Serial Attached SCSI 16MB Cache
RAID 0
ADaptec RAID 3405 HostRAID PCIe Four Poorts Low Profile SAS RAID
Windows XP

This computer is powering up, but not booting, no boot beep. All power to fans and lights on motherboard, assuming it is a motherboard or CPU failure.

I have lots of data on the hard drives that I would like to retrieve, but don't have another computer that has compatible connectors.

What are my options?
Thanks.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
You can buy an external adapter/enclosure for the Hard Drive(s).....

What do you mean "not booting"... do you have an video on monitor? have you done any troubleshooting? Like using a different Monitor, taking out memory, changing video cable... anything?

pmorris64

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
no beep on boot-up, nothing to the monitor or keyboard (checked that these are working on other systems), reseated the CPU, reset the CMOS, tried to boot with only one RAM stick and then both RAM interchanged and no configuration works, changed all the cables.

Can you tell me more about "external adapter/enclosure for the Hard Drive(s)"?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
external HD enclosures? just google it... you can buy them for like $30 or less.. all they do is allow you to connect your HD to another PC using a USB port...

Granted it won't "run" as fast as using SATA... but it will allow you to access and recover data..

The adapter is a similar thing, but it isn't "enclosed"... the enclosure is more of a permanent setup.. the adapter is more for data retrieval, not for long term use.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
the only thing that will throw you off is the RAID configuration. RAID 0 is "striped". Which means some data is written on one HD and some written on the other HD. If one HD fails, then the data is basically lost..... didn't think of this before.... since you are using RAID 0, I doubt the external HD things will be able to help you much.

you could get data off the 750GB... but the two 300GB would be tricky.... I don't know if you could buy 2 external adapters and enable RAID 0 on those 2 USB HD's..... never tried it

pmorris64

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
I have another computer that is configured with RAID 0, what do you think are the risks of disabling the hard drives to that computer and, using the adapters, boot with these hard drives. I don't think the hard drives have failed. Can you see any issues this might cause?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
the HD on the "other" PC... are they used for the OS, or just extra data space?

if they are just holding Data and NOT the OS, then it should not be any problem. just remove both and put the other 2 in... then just make sure they are enabled in the RAID configuration utility...

pmorris64

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
The RAID 0 drives have the OS on them. They are the same OS, Windows XP. I imagine there could be missing drivers on System #2 if I tried to boot with the hard drives from System #1, depending on the other hardware attached to that system.

Since I configure them to be very similar, I am wondering if they could be similar enough to get the data off them.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
both the BAD Raid 0 and GOOD Raid 0 hard drives contain the OS's..? that sucks.

you probably have different motherboards in each system(?). So if you remove the 2 HD's from the good system and put the 2 HD's from the bad system in it then you probably wouldn't be able to boot properly.(because the Mobo's are different).

You could try it, but doubtful it will work.(try it, it won't hurt) just make sure you have the 2 BAD Hd's visible in the RAID configuration utility as RAID 0.