J-Dawg

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hello everyone,

Okay, I have a fairly good PC but I don't know what to do in terms of overclocking.

You see, I want to play APB Reloaded and Saints Row 3, the only problem is, is that my PC fails only on the CPU, but the speed of the CPU is a minimum pass.

So, I don't know whether overclocking would work for that, and really I'm a bit worried about overclocking, I always think something will go wrong.

I tested the if the games would work on System Requirements Lab.

My rig:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
RAM: 3.50 GB DDR3
System Type: 32-bit Operating System
Graphics Card: ASUS Nvidia GeForce GT520 Silent DDR3 1GB

I'm not sure if I included everything. :S

Thanks

Its not the speed here, it the single core thats holding you back,
download CPU-Z and see what model your mobo is, then check the compatible chip list, (Google xxx mobo chip list)
you could really do with a newer system but lets see what you can do with your current setup just in case new isn't an option for you
Moto

If we can get a better (at least dualcore) chip, it would be the cheapest solution for you, remember that a dual/quadcore at 3GHz is far better than a singlecore at 3.6GHz
its slower yes, but there are more cores to do the work :)
Moto

Man I loved APB, even Reloaded, but last time I logged on there was like 2 servers up. Are there more people playing again? Also, APB is a pretty poorly coded game, takes above the system specs to run it well due to memory leaks and what not. Single core wont cut it.

D

Deleted member 217926

Don't forget how just really bad the Pentium 4 Netburst architecture was as well. A Pentium 4 3.0Ghz is about equal in performance to a single core 1.2-1.4Ghz Atom Netbook processor. So basically if you can play it on a netbook you are fine.

You have a computer sufficient for Office and internet browsing and that's about it. A Pentium 4 is not going to cut it for any modern games and a GT520 is only a very small step up from integrated graphics.

The processor in this netbook is roughly the same as your P4 in power. You have much more powerful graphics though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/594-netbook-gaming-performance.html

478 socket had some quads for it, if Op can Id his mobo for chip support, then even a 2.4 quad would be a big boost,
I play portal 1/2 on my netbook but its not what I'd call gaming hehe, its just timekilling,
I did mention that a newer build was preferable, but if budgets limited then we have to make the most of what he has to hand :)
Moto

D

Deleted member 217926

Socket 478 is single core Pentium 4 and Celeron only no dual and sure no quads. First Intel Quad was the Q6xxx and that is an LGA 775 chip. Even the first Intel dual core chips are LGA 775. The Pentium D series.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
D

Deleted member 217926

First Intel dual core was the Smithfield based Pentium Extreme Edition 840. It was 2 x 90nm Prescott cores on the same die. The EE 840 was the first and last dual core with Hyperthreading until the i7 series.

The non Extreme Edition processors were called Pentium D. All of them were LGA 775. The first 90nm series were called Smithfield and the later 65nm Pentium D 9xx series was called Presler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_D_microprocessors

http://www.pcworld.com/article/122236/first_dualcore_pentium_4_a_rush_job_intel_says.html