Start Sims-2 without CD

Last response: in Video Games
January 21, 2005 2:09:43 PM

Hello all

I bought Sims-2 for my two daughters and they love
the game.
However, they always need to insert CD-1 to get it
started.
I'm worried that if ever this CD gets damaged
they will no longer be able to play.
Is there a way one can get the game to start
directly from the HD ?

Best regards from Ray

More about : start sims

January 21, 2005 2:49:07 PM

A lot of people have problems with No CD patches...
Do you have Alcohol or Nero available??
I run mine from my HD because I made an image of the first CD and run it
from Alcohol's virtual drive.

Although I don't have daughters...I have a very careless boyfriend, who
can...will and has in the past, used my CD's as coasters, because when he
puts in his games, he leaves mine anywhere he pleases...
grumble
Yet if I even *breathe wrong* on his precious games like Half Life or
thebaneofmyexistance Grand Theft Auto...whoa..
I'm the Whore of Babylon.
bah.

--
- D

"Raymond RUSSELL" <russell.ray@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> I bought Sims-2 for my two daughters and they love
> the game.
> However, they always need to insert CD-1 to get it
> started.
> I'm worried that if ever this CD gets damaged
> they will no longer be able to play.
> Is there a way one can get the game to start
> directly from the HD ?
>
> Best regards from Ray

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:49:08 PM

It's okay D...........(pat on back)..........been there done that, lol.

"D" <deeus@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> A lot of people have problems with No CD patches...
> Do you have Alcohol or Nero available??
> I run mine from my HD because I made an image of the first CD and run it
> from Alcohol's virtual drive.
>
> Although I don't have daughters...I have a very careless boyfriend, who
> can...will and has in the past, used my CD's as coasters, because when he
> puts in his games, he leaves mine anywhere he pleases...
> grumble
> Yet if I even *breathe wrong* on his precious games like Half Life or
> thebaneofmyexistance Grand Theft Auto...whoa..
> I'm the Whore of Babylon.
> bah.
>
> --
> - D
>
> "Raymond RUSSELL" <russell.ray@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> > Hello all
> >
> > I bought Sims-2 for my two daughters and they love
> > the game.
> > However, they always need to insert CD-1 to get it
> > started.
> > I'm worried that if ever this CD gets damaged
> > they will no longer be able to play.
> > Is there a way one can get the game to start
> > directly from the HD ?
> >
> > Best regards from Ray

January 21, 2005 5:42:08 PM

Hello D et al

For situations like this
(i.e. the Sims2 CD having to be inserted to get
started each time)
I have been looking at various CD copying /
emulation programs,
in particular :.
1) Roxio EZ-CD
2) Alcohol 120%
3) Nero 5.5.

Perhaps you can advise me about the differences
and recommend something ?:
Do they all offer a virtual drive function ?
(I don't need DVD copying and emulation, not yet
anyway).

Thanks again from Ray
January 21, 2005 5:42:09 PM

Oh dear...
I'm afraid that I got Alcohol on the advise of my tech savvy friend who said
to me at the store
"Alcohol will save any data/discs that you could possibly want to save, it's
the best. Ever."

I know for a fact that Nero offers a virtual drive function....but I haven't
used it for that in the past
I just burn data files using Nero and run to the printhouse usually...
(I love photos!) I have an old version of Nero anyways...

I know that perhaps that doesn't help you
but Alcohol is so easy to use and so quick to load
everytime I play the Sims it's click on Alcohol, click on the Sims
voila, I'm sipping a cup of coffee and petting my kitty waiting for it to
finish loading..

I wait..and I wait...finally I click on my custom neighbourhood..wait some
more...

Argh. I wish I had a GIG of RAM...not the measly 512MB...all you people with
over a GB of fast RAM...

god I hate you!
:)

j/k!
--
- D (turning slightly green...)

> Hello D et al
>
> For situations like this
> (i.e. the Sims2 CD having to be inserted to get
> started each time)
> I have been looking at various CD copying /
> emulation programs,
> in particular :.
> 1) Roxio EZ-CD
> 2) Alcohol 120%
> 3) Nero 5.5.
>
> Perhaps you can advise me about the differences
> and recommend something ?:
> Do they all offer a virtual drive function ?
> (I don't need DVD copying and emulation, not yet
> anyway).
>
> Thanks again from Ray

January 22, 2005 3:30:01 AM

> Argh. I wish I had a GIG of RAM...not the measly 512MB...all you people
> with over a GB of fast RAM...
>
> god I hate you!
> :)
>
> j/k!
> --
> - D (turning slightly green...)

you can upgrade to 1 GIG it quite cheaper these days....
January 22, 2005 3:50:21 PM

"Wesley" <ilovekiss@bless.you.com> schreef in bericht
news:D 8hId.128447$K7.9852@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

>> Argh. I wish I had a GIG of RAM...not the measly 512MB...all you people
>> with over a GB of fast RAM...
>>
>> god I hate you!
>> :)
>>
>> j/k!
>> --
>> - D (turning slightly green...)
>
> you can upgrade to 1 GIG it quite cheaper these days....

Yep it is, but if you have an older computer it gets harder to find the
right memory too.
But if you wait long enough, you get it for free when people throw out their
old computers
that is the way I upgraded my old machines a lot ;o)
January 22, 2005 4:04:33 PM

I have a Pentium 4 , 1.6GHz
and that's ALL I know
;P
--
- D
"..22.." <email@request.rr> wrote in message

> "Wesley" <ilovekiss@bless.you.com> schreef in bericht
> news:D 8hId.128447$K7.9852@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>

>>> Argh. I wish I had a GIG of RAM...not the measly 512MB...all you people
>>> with over a GB of fast RAM...
>>>
>>> god I hate you!
>>> :)
>>>
>>> j/k!
>>> --
>>> - D (turning slightly green...)
>>
>> you can upgrade to 1 GIG it quite cheaper these days....
>
> Yep it is, but if you have an older computer it gets harder to find the
> right memory too.
> But if you wait long enough, you get it for free when people throw out
> their old computers
> that is the way I upgraded my old machines a lot ;o)
January 26, 2005 2:53:05 PM

Daemon tools lets you mount an image of the first CD/DVD quite nicely.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc

Wil

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:09:43 -0000, "Raymond RUSSELL"
<russell.ray@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>Hello all
>
>I bought Sims-2 for my two daughters and they love
>the game.
>However, they always need to insert CD-1 to get it
>started.
>I'm worried that if ever this CD gets damaged
>they will no longer be able to play.
>Is there a way one can get the game to start
>directly from the HD ?
>
>Best regards from Ray

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:31:02 AM

"Raymond RUSSELL" <russell.ray@wanadoo.fr> wrote in news:41f10632$0

Daemon tools is free - maybe a good place to start. www.daemon-tools.cc

--
---->Sagittaria<----

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:31:52 AM

"Wesley" <ilovekiss@bless.you.com> wrote in
news:D 8hId.128447$K7.9852@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

>> Argh. I wish I had a GIG of RAM...not the measly 512MB...all you
>> people with over a GB of fast RAM...
>>
>> god I hate you!
>> :)
>>
>> j/k!
>> --
>> - D (turning slightly green...)
>
> you can upgrade to 1 GIG it quite cheaper these days....

Depends on your memory! I've always used pc133 which is quite cheap.
imagine my surprise that my current computer uses "rambus" which are
still very expensive. But I just paid it anyway to make the sims run
faster.

--

!