l1lshadow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hello, my computer randomly freezes(not crash) whether I'm doing nothing or doing something.
Specs:

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 AMD 770
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545
RAM: 2 2gig OCZ Fatal1ty Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB GDDR3

Things I've tried:
Reseting the bios settings.
Downloading the drivers for everything.

*I'm pretty new so if you need more information ask me.

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Firstly, check that your motherboard (BIOS) settings are correct for the frequency of your RAM. I had mine set to AUTO and it still was using a frequency that led to problems. Once I set the frequency manually to the correct setting, the problems vanished.

Freezing could also be caused by CPU (or other chip) overheating, so check your fans, and find software online for reporting your CPU and motherboard temperatures.

You'll also need to think about your PSU, as feeble voltage output can bring a machine down. The bad news is that it's not easy to check this, and the simplest way is just to swap in a known-good PSU to see if that fixes your problems.

RAM faults can cause freezing, so hunt around online for memtest86 and memtest86+ and follow instructions on how to create a boot CD and run the test. If you can run the tests for twelve hours at least without seeing any RAM errors, then your RAM is probably not the culprit.

The bad news is that diagnosing faulty PCs without known-good spares is very difficult, as you can never be sure which component is at fault.