Should I update BIOS version regularly?

SeF

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
My P7P5DD PRO should be arriving soon.

Should I update the BIOs version to the last one?

And it's recommended to update it regularly?
I've seen Asus Support page of this motherboard and most of updates there is regarding "improved stability". More stability = better! Right? :)

Thanks!

Solution

I agree that, only update if you see that an updated BIOS solves any of the problems that YOU are experiencing. Otherwise stay with what you have.

I have to comment on o1die's note though: you have it the wrong way around. Often the latest BIOS will overclock better, as there are many bugs and incompatibilities on the original ones. My current board being the best example of this "rush to the market even if not ready" attitude.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This is what I look for in a BIOS update:

1) Memory compatibility

2) System stability

3) If I am having a problem, any statement that promises to solve my problem

If any of the 3 items is/are in the BIOS update, I go for it.

New BIOSes have utilities in them that eliminate crashes and that recover in case there is a crash. Some boards have dual BIOS chips, while others have Crash Free systems.

What you must do during a BIOS update is, use a working UPS.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

I agree that, only update if you see that an updated BIOS solves any of the problems that YOU are experiencing. Otherwise stay with what you have.

I have to comment on o1die's note though: you have it the wrong way around. Often the latest BIOS will overclock better, as there are many bugs and incompatibilities on the original ones. My current board being the best example of this "rush to the market even if not ready" attitude.

Solution

SeF

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Thanks all of the answers!

I bought a couple of 2GB G.Skill ECO.
First, I'm gonna try to run in my motherboard without updating it.

I believe there is a tiny possibility of compatibility issues because of the low voltage..

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Well try and see!
Before updating to a newer BIOS read the changes first and see if that is likely to solve any problems. If not, then it is probably not worth it.

Good luck!