Sign in with
Your question

Which case should I get? Silverstone FT01-BW or RV02-BW?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Silverstone
  • Cases
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
February 21, 2010 7:42:25 PM

Hello,

Which of the following 2 would you buy? what do owners think?

I have been looking at cases for the last 2 months and have narrowed it down to 2 cases. At the bottom is what i will be installing in the case. I don't want to get the FT02 because of the price $239.99, and i like the Raven RV02-BW look a little bit better anyways. I plan on in a year or so to upgrade my crossfire setup from 2x 5770 to 2x 5970. I have had a Thermaltake Tsunami for the last 3 years and I don't know what the sound level is compared to the other cases.

I have come up with pros and cons of each that I see. I would like some opinions from people who own these cases even form people that own a FT02 could have some good input since the RV02 is so similar.

Silverstone Fortress FT01-BW price - Newegg $169.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pros-
Quieter in decibels than the RV02 according to 3dgameman.com
Will be able to see through side window with my computer desk and computer room arrangement.
Cons-
I have heard the top dust filter is really hard to get out and clean, and secondly what about the bottom filter? do you have to remove the PSU to clean the filter, or do you clean it from the bottom of the case.
I have heard there is not a lot of room to work inside the case.

Silverstone Raven RV02-BW - Amazon $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pros-
Better Cooling and newer technology
cable management is better.
Cons-
Louder in decibels than the FT01 according to 3dgameman.com
Wont be able to see the window because of my computer desk and room setup, cannot change it.
little bit longer than the FT02, but wont be an issue at all.

Power Supply – Corsair 1000W
Motherboard – Asus Crosshair III Formula
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Memory – Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR3 1600
2 Video Cards – Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 Crossfire
2 Hard Drives – Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
DVD Drive – Asus Blue-Drive Sata BC-08B1ST

Thank you for the feedback and opinions!

More about : case silverstone ft01 rv02

a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2010 7:51:06 PM

Silverstone make very good cases, with good build quality. Out of the two cases I would recommend the Silverstone purely based on the reputation
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 21, 2010 7:52:34 PM

You only have one choice. If you want to get an ATI radeon HD 5970 video card that is 12.16 inches long, then you will have to get a different case to accomodate the extra long card.

The Silverstone FT01 and the Raven cannot accomodate an ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card. Both can barely accomodate an ATI HD 5870 which is an inch shorter thatn a 5970.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2010 8:11:42 PM

JohnnyLucky said:

The Silverstone FT01 and the Raven cannot accomodate an ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card. Both can barely accomodate an ATI HD 5870 which is an inch shorter thatn a 5970.

With the FT01 you can remove one of two hard drive cages and get yourself about 4 more inches of length for video cards. I did this just for airflow. I still have mounting points for 3 or 4 hard drives and I only use one.

The air filters on the FT01 are a pain, practically speaking you can only remove one of them, however because they are intake filters all the dust is on the outside. You can just blow compressed over them (shoot the air parallel to the surface) and that will clean off 95% of the dust.

You might also look at the ft02.
m
l
February 21, 2010 8:16:17 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
You only have one choice. If you want to get an ATI radeon HD 5970 video card that is 12.16 inches long, then you will have to get a different case to accomodate the extra long card.

The FT01 will fit the 2 5970 cards. You have to remove the top Hard drive cage. I would do that any way if I got the case to help improve airflow. see bottom of page.
http://silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=F...

The RV02 can fit 5970 cards. see bottom of page.
http://silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?mode...
m
l
February 21, 2010 8:23:53 PM

MagicPants said:
With the FT01 you can remove one of two hard drive cages and get yourself about 4 more inches of length for video cards. I did this just for airflow. I still have mounting points for 3 or 4 hard drives and I only use one.

The air filters on the FT01 are a pain, practically speaking you can only remove one of them, however because they are intake filters all the dust is on the outside. You can just blow compressed over them (shoot the air parallel to the surface) and that will clean off 95% of the dust.

You might also look at the ft02.

OK, so you use an air duster on the top and then the bottom of the case underneath? Do you ever get a lot of dust on the inside?

I don't want to get the FT02 because of the price $239.99, $80 more, and I like the Raven RV02-BW look a little bit better anyways. The only difference I seen between the FT02 and the RV02 is the hard drive cage which I wont be doing any hot swapping, some sound dampening material which didn't make a difference according to 3dgameman.com reviews. both put out practically the same amount of sound level.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2010 9:46:33 PM

Yeah sorry I just skimmed your op didn't see the thing about the ft02 being too much.

The PSU filter is the hardest to clean, but it's not that bad. I ended up damaging the frame of the top filter trying to pull it out to clean once (you just can't do it) but compressed air is nice because you don't even have to open the case (be sure to unplug it though).

The inside of the FT01 is basically dust free. Between the Raven and the Fortress I think the fortress looks better but I'm not into stylized cases. The Raven doesn't look too bad to me either.

The Raven has the cables coming up through the top so it wouldn't work very well sitting on top of a desk. Also the side tilted mobo might cause problems with some heat pipe coolers, and when you buy a cpu heatsink you'd want to be sure it'll rotate 90 degrees.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 21, 2010 10:49:45 PM

OOPS! My bad! Didn't know about the removeable hard drive cage. :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2010 10:41:47 AM

Raven RV01 will fit the 5970s
m
l