Should we have a GPU Overclocking guide?

GPU Overclocking Guide?

• Yes

Votes: 37 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

andrewcarr

Distinguished
I think the CPU overclocking guides need to be updated first. It's incredibly easy to overclock a GPU (at least in my opinion). Although I did vote yes, it should be there but CPU should be given priority.

GPU OC is much more trial and error than CPU OC.

A word of Caution:

Most overclock their GPUs using the overclock utilities available to run in the operating system and IMO a guide is only necessary for those seeking to BIOS flash their cards.

Anyone assuming your factory mass produced graphics card has the heat sink perfectly seated, could be making a massive mistake overclocking the graphics card with a poorly seated heat sink.

You need to know whats going on under the hood of your graphics card before you even consider overclocking it.

From my own experience overclocking a GPU can lead to either instant death or a crippled card, one reason being crappy factory installation of the heat sink, as hot as the GPUs get if you're going to overclock yours, you need to pull the heat sink and investigate the contact footprint, between the GPU/Memory Chips/ and Voltage Regulators.

Thermal pads are not to be reused, so if you need thermal pads, do not take your card apart until you have in hand what you need to replace, you may be lucky and have a perfectly fitted card, or you may be playing Russian Roulette with it with each overclock step.

All it takes is one memory chip or voltage regulator not making full contact, and you overclock and fry the card, you can think you're safe from the GPUs temperature readout, and not even be aware of how hot the memory chips are.

I've seen far more GPU failures than CPU.

I Voted No.

For the simple reason we have too many newbies that will throw caution to the wind, until they are crying about the consequences of exercising blind ignorance, (Meaning not aware of their cards contact footprint), just before the RMA.

Even if a guide is written doesn't mean they'll read it, seems everyone wants a quick fix today and bypass all the necessary steps to get there, but a quick fix may just be too far for the hardware and it's all over but the crying.

What one card can handle with a massive overclock the same brand card could fail with a one step increase, it is possible and it can and does happen.

Ryan

I created a bios flash tutorial, and now it is too far in the pile..

That would definitely be something that had better be containing "Do at your own Risk", forum responsibility disclaimers in it to protect the writer, Toms Hardware, and Best of Media!

Every overclocking guide here contains a responsibility disclaimer.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I agree with Ryans post labeled "A word of Caution:", too many people readonly what they think they need to get the job done and when it doesn't work they complain that the Guide didn't work. :pfff:

I vote a strong NO for this subject!

I'm not exactly in the sticky delinquency department here amuffin, most of what I shared in this thread, I learned the hard way, I try to warn others so they won't make the same mistakes I did, however they have every right to disregard my warnings and learn their own lessons.

Overclocking guides are a lot of work especially when you undertake a broad coverage and not a specific platform, all the results and possibilities have to be tested and assured that the guide is accurate, all that has to be completed before the first word is written, or the guide is garbage crap.

Then it has to be updated or ends up full of inaccurate information, because new approaches are learned in time of experimentation, (Especially with new CPUs), and overclocking guides are a lot of responsibility, none of us that have written these guides want to be the reason someone has screwed up their hardware, I would hope.

When it comes to the guides I have written, I make sure they are current and updated, the AMD BE Guide has been modified with new information probably 10 times since it was first written, it has been completely rewritten twice I believe.

So there's a lot of work in posting and keeping a guide updated, and taking on the responsibility of helping others achieve their overclocking goals, you do need to realize what's really involved in any overclocking guide, and it's not after it's been posted and you get a barrage of PM complaints against you.

You have to be as sure as you can be that you have addressed all those various possibilities before the guide is ever posted. Ry

So thats me, Ryan, Arthur and I think Recon/384bit voting no, I arbitrarily voted no early on but didn't want to write an essay covering the reasons why not to,
The main one is that people want the magic numbers as Recon's post mentions, they don't want to know xyz about the process, they just want the quickfix and then cry when 'your' numbers kill thier cpu/Gpu, I have answered numerous threads explaining its a bit by bit process and small steps make up the journey, if people are then willing to learn and help themselves fine, but quickfixers I leave the thread,
Theres no point trying to teach those who won't learn
And on the disclaimer front, I usually add them to my mod logs, just in case hehe
Moto

I think a guide outlining some very general rules and tips would be ok, perhaps a mention about temps, monitoring, stability testing ETC... steps that apply to all GPU overclocking.
Obviously you can't be specific about each individual graphics card.

At the end of the day I think people will still come and ask questions like "Tell me what settings to use" without reading any guides, but a general overclocking guide with sensible advice will most likely help out some members.

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Each card is unique, my best practice is 1 step at a time, if that is stable 1 more step, and monitor monitor monitor..temps can spike rapidly.

Not bad wolfram23!

You stayed well on the safe side with that guide.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I'm going to agree with Ry, if it's to mod the PCB Board. But the hurdle will be the difficulty with multiple platforms; what if we could get a large group of us to compile specific platform details. With a lot of us adding input and focusing on items; it may limit some of the over burden and generalized information.

Just a thought.

Here is my Nvidia Bios Flash Guide:

Edited out the link.

Mike! :pfff:

I will not be held responsible for any mistakes on your part, if your card does brick, make sure you are ready with a seperate card to fix the bricked one.

First off anything you post here at THGF you are responsible for, after it is posted it is the property of THGF and Best of Media, where's the disclaimer other than for yourself?

If it gives you nonsense about a protected bios, type nvflash /? and find the flag for unlocking the bios, use it, then go to #2.

That nonsense sir, you sidestep, is the last step of protection to keep your warranty.

Whether you are aware of it or not, once you unlock the BIOS to be able to flash it, your Graphics Card warranty is legally gone, that should be the very first thing you warn THGF users about.

Once the graphics card manufacturer discovers you have unlocked the BIOS, they have every legal right to refuse honoring your warranty and if they do, there's nothing you can do about it.

I have BIOS flashed many GPUs, and your instructions are a little on the unclear side for the less experienced, you should always make a copy of your original BIOS, you didn't tell them to do that or tell them how.

Regarding your BIOS downloads you should always download more than just the one file, and have them on hand just in case of flashing failure, so in my opinion that guide is seriously delinquent.

You need to understand how the inexperienced will take your guide for it's cavalier easiness and totally screw up their card or cards.

IMO command line flashing a graphics card with the operating system running, is taking a big chance!

You yourself were lucky!

Regarding SLI setups, If you flash with a floppy it will auto flash the 2nd card, you should remove the 2nd GPU before the flashing procedure, if you do not want to flash the 2nd GPU with the same BIOS.

You should never flash the 2nd GPU until you are 100% positive the primary card is properly flashed, and operating exactly as you expect it to!

Your Nvidia Bios Flash Guide, needs serious work!

This is exactly why I voted No!

One other thing readers, unless your computer is on a battery backup system you take a chance for any BIOS flashing you do, not only GPU but CPU as well, any power surge, fluctuation, brown out etc. can cause BIOS Flash corruption and complete failure, BIOS Flashing anything is serious business not to be taken lightly!

Shivashish420

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
yes i fully agree with u bcause most gpu users when know about overclocking about 80% of them tries to overclock thiers cpu then after cpu they also tries to overclock thier processors nd some of them overclocks their gpu that much that the gpu get fully fried so did i tried bt after about an hour i just restored the factory settings and asked the forum the hw mch i can overclock my gpu bcause in the forum there are many people who know about this bt i also suggest people don't overclock ur gpu if u want long life of ur gpu i overclock my gpu bcause i m going to sell my current gpu and i m going to buys a new gpu im couple of days so if u want long life of ur gpu don't overclock it bcause u can't see inside the case what's happening to ur gpu :bounce:

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I agree on the statement simply adverting liability from the user. However, the forum owner and site owner are still liable. That is why good information is so viable, so guides like the one Ry just shredded don't become widely adopted.

If a large user base controls a guide; not one. Then misinformation is likely to be detected, altered then fixed. Assuming the "I'm smarter then you" nerd complex doesn't come into play.

I'm sort of on the fence; I see the benefits of a guide- proper education. But the harm is also noted.

I don't see how Tom's would be liable for anything a user did based on info posted on a public forum... Not that I'm informed on the matter, it just seems absurd. I could understand if it was an official Tom's Hardware Article.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I was going off what Ry said:

First off anything you post here at THGF you are responsible for, after it is posted it is the property of THGF and Best of Media, where's the disclaimer other than for yourself?

If what he said is true, then it appears there is some liability for all parties.

what was that act lately pipa or sopa? something about isp's and webmasters being accountable for content posted on their servers?
brain fried atm but i recall there being some stupid thing like that in the works,
that kind of thing would lead to everyone in the chain being accountable/prosecutable, from the poster him/herself, to the guy who stacks the servers in his warehouse to make a few quid hosting
Scary stuff
Moto