Sign in with
Your question

Building for multiple monitors

Last response: in Motherboards
June 28, 2010 4:48:58 PM

Never built one before and want to investigate if DIY really is a money saver.

I'll have two purposes for this one -- stock trading and home entertainment. Ideally I'll have six monitors and a flat screen TV so I'm assuming I'll need video outputs for 8. I'll also want a capture card and a sound card. I'm not gaming so I don't need that kind of high performance. I'll take suggestions on graphics cards too altho I probably should ask about that in a different forum.

What mobos should I be looking at to accommodate all of this? Thanks.
a c 217 V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
June 29, 2010 4:57:24 PM

Sounds like a combination of ATI GPUs is in your future. There are several that have 4 or more connectors for the multiple displays you are asking about. Go to newegg.com, look in the desktop video card section, and look for Eyefinity cabale ATI cards.....

For the mobo, if you buy 2 Eyefinity cards, you have a wide assortment of mobos to choose from. Just look for a mobo, Intel or AMD based, that 2 PCIe x16 slots. If you go with a 3 GPU solution, you will need a mobo with 3 (or more) PCIe x16 slots.

Good luck!
m
l
June 30, 2010 12:24:44 PM

COLGeek said:
Sounds like a combination of ATI GPUs is in your future. There are several that have 4 or more connectors for the multiple displays you are asking about. Go to newegg.com, look in the desktop video card section, and look for Eyefinity cabale ATI cards.....

For the mobo, if you buy 2 Eyefinity cards, you have a wide assortment of mobos to choose from. Just look for a mobo, Intel or AMD based, that 2 PCIe x16 slots. If you go with a 3 GPU solution, you will need a mobo with 3 (or more) PCIe x16 slots.

Good luck!

Thanks for answering. It looks like the Eyefinity cards take up a lot of real estate. Are there mobos large enough to handle them and the additional cards I want or am I asking too much for one computer?
m
l
a c 217 V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
June 30, 2010 1:21:02 PM

There are definitely full size ATX mobos that will meet your needs. An example would be this beast (coupled with a Phenom x6 1090T BE):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The bottom line is that there are both Intel and AMD based solutions that can handle your needs. It is really a matter of how much money you want to spend. BTW, sounds like a fun project!

Go get some!!!
m
l
!