Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Safe Overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 9, 2012 11:33:22 AM

Hey guys i recently upgrade my rig. I then had a problem that my RAM was running at 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz. The easy fix for was was to go into the BIOS and use Asus's EZ mode and just set it to performance. So now my RAM is running beautifully and my processor is also up from 3.3 GHz to 4.0 GHz. So i consider it a win win. I'm just a bit worried that I might hurt my processor. The max voltage appears to be around 1.191 v. Is this safe? Also when I test it with Intel's Burn Test in extreme mode the processor hits 87C but in normal mode it is only in the low 70s. With normal use it doesn't really reach 60C. I'm using an Intel stock cooler. Is this configuration safe or should I invest in a custom cooler? I don't plan to do much more so I'll only buy the cooler if I really need it.
Thanks guys.

More about : safe overclock

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 11:41:51 AM

those temps look great for a stock cooler. good deal on having the volts as low as possible; less heat.
still maybe get a cooler master 212+ or evo just to be safe.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 11:44:34 AM

ya i dont think those are good temps btw may want to reseat that cooler 87 c it throttle temp or close to it....
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 11:46:01 AM

bigbasedrum said:
Hey guys i recently upgrade my rig. I then had a problem that my RAM was running at 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz. The easy fix for was was to go into the BIOS and use Asus's EZ mode and just set it to performance. So now my RAM is running beautifully and my processor is also up from 3.3 GHz to 4.0 GHz. So i consider it a win win. I'm just a bit worried that I might hurt my processor. The max voltage appears to be around 1.191 v. Is this safe? Also when I test it with Intel's Burn Test in extreme mode the processor hits 87C but in normal mode it is only in the low 70s. With normal use it doesn't really reach 60C. I'm using an Intel stock cooler. Is this configuration safe or should I invest in a custom cooler? I don't plan to do much more so I'll only buy the cooler if I really need it.
Thanks guys.

not safe without aftermarket cooling as mentioned 212 is good and even better with a 2nd fan, im not a big fan of auto overclocks they are usually heavy with the voltage. maybe from those settings once you have appropriate cooling drop ur voltage until u lose stability and then stick with the lowest stable voltage. you can change you ram with the bios anyways to 1600 without overclocking
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 11:47:43 AM

robustus64 said:
ya i dont think those are good temps btw may want to reseat that cooler 87 c it throttle temp or close to it....

it doesnt need reseating he needs to remove the overclock and overvoltage thats why its cooking itself.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 11:50:47 AM

jasont78 said:
it doesnt need reseating he needs to remove the overclock and overvoltage thats why its cooking itself.

overvolting @ 1.19?!?!?! :heink: 

those temps are fine for an intel burn test on extreme with stock cooling.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 11:56:33 AM

Anonymous said:
overvolting @ 1.19?!?!?! :heink: 

those temps are fine for an intel burn test on extreme with stock cooling.


Are you serious? 87c? thats 20c more then I would ever want to go. a cpu at 100% is still a cpu at 100% no matter the program used. Don't give me that "games don't use 100% cpu" because we all know thats bull. its 20c above Tcase.

Whatever you say I don't find nearing 90c good for any cpus lifespan.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 12:10:21 PM

This is gonna sound like a huge newb..but I heard that the max temp for Ivy Bridge is 105C is this correct? And just btw at idle its like 35C and even when I'm pushing it, as in installing a game, listening to music, surfing the internet, and a bunch of other stuff it maxes out at 57C. Also as far as I know the voltage wasn't set at all... but im nt 100% sure of that...Just so you guys can get the whole picture :)  thanks for advice!!
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 12:12:35 PM

mouse24 said:
Are you serious? 87c? thats 20c more then I would ever want to go. a cpu at 100% is still a cpu at 100% no matter the program used. Don't give me that "games don't use 100% cpu" because we all know thats bull. its 20c above Tcase.

Whatever you say I don't find nearing 90c good for any cpus lifespan.

kindly do not tell me what "we all know". i do not buy anyone else's popular wisdom.
87c is still within specs whether or not it would be something that you would do or not.
read the post, the OP hit that during an extreme setting on intel burn in; it will be higher than at anytime.

if you think thats bs you got the problem.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 12:17:05 PM

bigbasedrum said:
This is gonna sound like a huge newb..but I heard that the max temp for Ivy Bridge is 105C is this correct? And just btw at idle its like 35C and even when I'm pushing it, as in installing a game, listening to music, surfing the internet, and a bunch of other stuff it maxes out at 57C. Also as far as I know the voltage wasn't set at all... but im nt 100% sure of that...Just so you guys can get the whole picture :)  thanks for advice!!

90c is max before throttling kicks in. give this a read about voltages.
Undervolting and Overclocking on Ivy Bridge
since you are not OC much auto is fine.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 12:30:44 PM

Anonymous said:
kindly do not tell me what "we all know". i do not buy anyone else's popular wisdom.
87c is still within specs whether or not it would be something that you would do or not.
read the post, the OP hit that during an extreme setting on intel burn in; it will be higher than at anytime.

if you think thats bs you got the problem.


I don't know how intel burn test compares to Prime95 nor do I understand how 1 program maxing out your cpu 100% is any different from another.

I still don't like how 57c just by browsing the web is "safe" for you. Do you have any links as to how fast certain heat levels degrade ivy bridge chips?

Call it personal preference all day long but I still wouldn't chance a 200 dollar chips lifespan on a 0.7ghz overclock.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 12:36:31 PM

hahah you misunderstand I meant it hits 57C when I'm pushing it. Right now its in the low 30s sometimes dipping into the 20s and the system is not just idling. The max temp i reached during gaming was like 57C.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 12:38:48 PM

bigbasedrum said:
hahah you misunderstand I meant it hits 57C when I'm pushing it. Right now its in the low 30s sometimes dipping into the 20s and the system is not just idling. The max temp i reached during gaming was like 57C.


Ah :)  what game? Diablo stresses your cpu less then say, starcraft 2.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 12:41:05 PM

mouse24 said:
I don't know how intel burn test compares to Prime95 nor do I understand how 1 program maxing out your cpu 100% is any different from another.

I still don't like how 57c just by browsing the web is "safe" for you. Do you have any links as to how fast certain heat levels degrade ivy bridge chips?

Call it personal preference all day long but I still wouldn't chance a 200 dollar chips lifespan on a 0.7ghz overclock.

IBT is more intense than P95:
Prime95 vs. Intel burntest check out the results.
and read the op's post
Quote:
And just btw at idle its like 35C and even when I'm pushing it, as in installing a game, listening to music, surfing the internet, and a bunch of other stuff it maxes out at 57C.

it isn't "just" web surfing that it hit 57c. now are these the most desirable temps? no. but again the OP is using stock cooling. can they get away with it? yes, like it or not. but would it be better to gat an after market cooler? yes and i stated such in my first post.

now good day to you sir.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 12:44:23 PM

hahahahahah I'm stupid but not THAT stupid. ;)  It was need for speed shift at its highest settings at a resolution of 1920x1080, with 15 AI cars on track, at the Hazyview figure eight track for 20 laps. I'd imagine that's specific enough :D 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 12:46:45 PM

Anonymous said:
IBT is more intense than P95:
Prime95 vs. Intel burntest check out the results.
and read the op's post
Quote:
And just btw at idle its like 35C and even when I'm pushing it, as in installing a game, listening to music, surfing the internet, and a bunch of other stuff it maxes out at 57C.

it isn't "just" web surfing that it hit 57c. now are these the most desirable temps? no. but again the OP is using stock cooling. can they get away with it? yes, like it or not. but would it be better to gat an after market cooler? yes and i stated such in my first post.

now good day to you sir.


Thanks for the link, and with that I think im gonna let you handle it.

Quote:
hahahahahah I'm stupid but not THAT stupid. ;)  It was need for speed shift at its highest settings at a resolution of 1920x1080, with 15 AI cars on track, at the Hazyview figure eight track for 20 laps. I'd imagine that's specific enough :D 


Cool, well as long as your happy with it :) 
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 4:18:58 PM

Oky I put it back to the stock speeds. But for some reason its still running at 3.5 GHz (it should be 3.3 GHz). I then did the burn test again, now it hovers around the 80C mark. (I ran the test 10 times) But it keeps freezing is this normal?
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 4:20:31 PM

Oky I put it back to the stock speeds. But for some reason its still running at 3.5 GHz (it should be 3.3 GHz). I then did the burn test again, now it hovers around the 80C mark. (I ran the test 10 times) But it keeps freezing is this normal?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 10:37:20 PM

bigbasedrum said:
Oky I put it back to the stock speeds. But for some reason its still running at 3.5 GHz (it should be 3.3 GHz). I then did the burn test again, now it hovers around the 80C mark. (I ran the test 10 times) But it keeps freezing is this normal?

it will boost itself when using a single thread by about 200-300 mhz that is normal, u clearly dont know what u are doing so i would suggest resetting or bios to default settings until you have done some research and got your temps under control, personally i dont let my systems over 65c in a burn in test. as unlikely as u will kill your cpu, you have already voided your cpu's warranty,consider yourself warned! BTW my video card is a hell of a lot faster than yours and my 2500k doesnt bottleneck that at stock speeds, so i dont know why u need the overclock anyways :pfff: 
m
0
l
June 10, 2012 12:47:41 PM

hahaha wow you sure don't mince words! However, you are correct I don't know what I'm doing, but that is why I joined Tom's Hardware. So I can dissect the brains of people who do know what they are doing! :)  As to why I want to overclock the answer to your question is simple. I'm experimenting! Also I did not blindly run into this the moment I noticed my cpu was being overclocked I started monitoring the temps and volts and started this thread to make sure. I also didn't do any serious gaming I would start a game exit check the temps ( temp monitoring was happening in the background), restart the game, do say a lap, exit check the temps, then first do the 20 laps. Also during the burn in I was monitoring it the whole time the moment it hit 85C i stopped it. However, as you can see from my previous post I have now gone back to the stock settings, and I know that the throttling temp for Ivy Bridge is 10C higher than Sandy Bridge so that puts it at 105C so I was quite a ways from that. And as you can see even at stock speeds it hits 80C so I don't think it is such a huge issue. But thanks a lot for advice :) 
m
0
l
!