Sign in with
Your question

Cpu vs cpu speed

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 8:58:28 PM

Hey.
I'm usually pretty hot on computers but my nephew recently asked me a question I couldn't adequatley answer so I come, tail between legs to you. He recently ran a program to check if he could run a game on his laptop, it said that he did not have the minimum cpu but had enough cpu speed. I can't think how to explain the difference to him and all the other places I have looked tried to explain cpu speed to me, a concept I am well acquatined with.
I feel stupid for asking this question but the answer isn't one I can give as I have never really come accross them given as two seperate entities before so I was wondering if someone could clear this up for me.
Thanks
Ali

More about : cpu cpu speed

a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 9:02:12 PM

I would think more this is down to the video card..

Laptops normally have integrated Intels chipset which for games is known not to be that great.

Some games calculate what rate the game can run at..

Also, not all 2ghz processors are the same..

he could have had a core 2 duo, a core duo or a Pentium 4 2GHz laptop.

A core 2 is faster than a core duo and a core duo is much faster than a Pentium 4.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 9:08:15 PM

Hellboy said:
I would think more this is down to the video card..

That's what I thought but it said everything on his laptop was fine for running the game except the cpu. (It only needs 128 MB and he has a 3GB video card)

He has a Celeron Dual Core CPU.

Ali
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 10:11:38 PM

saint19 said:
^A celeron processor isn't good for gaming. Like Hellboy says, you can have a 2GHz processor, but isn't the same if you have a C2D 2GHz and a Celeron dual core 2GHz.

Take a look of this articles to understand the differences between both.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/577/3

http://gadgetandstuff.blogspot.com/2008/06/intel-celero...

Yeah I have a Pentium which I use for my gaming but unfortunatley the Celeron is the one he has.

The articles were a great help thanks. The comparisons were especially interesting as for some reason I'd never imagined there would be such a difference in performance between them.

Ali
a c 161 à CPUs
February 21, 2010 10:25:17 PM

Any time that's why we are here.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 10:27:32 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought but it said everything on his laptop was fine for running the game except the cpu. (It only needs 128 MB and he has a 3GB video card)

He has a Celeron Dual Core CPU.

Ali

A 3GB video card?

That doesn't make much sense - the amount of memory on the video card does not tell you how fast the card is. What card is it?
a c 161 à CPUs
February 21, 2010 10:31:56 PM

^Could be a nVidia Quadro
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 10:34:44 PM

It could be, but I doubt it. Especially with a Celeron.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 10:39:31 PM

Hahahaha! I sparked a debate with my inability to read my own hand writing!
1.3 GB sorry not 3!
I wrote this down over the phone and I cannot read my own short hand and being the tired plonker that I am I didn't bother to think about what I was writing! Sorry about that, I had a serious *face palm* moment when I re read that!

Ali
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2010 11:08:55 PM

What GPU is it though? That sounds very much like shared memory on an integrated GPU, not a discrete one.
February 21, 2010 11:51:06 PM

Just link make and modle of laptop and also give us what game he is trying to play

also can u just list the modle of the CPU, GPU, and amount of RAM
!