mufaddal

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
i get 0.19 v (1.59%) ripple while testing my Huntkey PSU 550w in OCCT test ... is this bad enough
can this be a cause for random crashing of games?

i get crashes to the desktop or sometimes the monitor says no signal for a moment and computer restrts... other times a VPU error report is shown... while crashing there is looping sound...
my system
AMD Pehnom II x2 550 BE
MSI R4850
Kingston 2 GB
Seagate 500 Gb...
TA790GXBE Biostar Motherboard..

Solution
Read the article... I'd have to say YES! If they can't make a 450 watt PSU pull a clean 275 watts at 80% efficiency, then your 550 watt has to be suspect!

mufaddal

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

thanks !! :)

What do you mean by .19V ripple? Do you mean its between 12.19V and 11.71V? 1% voltage regulation is good, 2% is alright. Unless you are using an osciliscope you cant measure ripple as it has a frequency of several KHz. Even though huntkey's are worse than raidmax's i dont think the 4850 would pull enough power from it to cause to to restart, but if it isnt the sole source of the issues it certainly isnt helping them any. You mention that the sound tends to loop when you get a hard crash, get a copy of MemTest and run several passes to check your memory for errors, sound loops can be caused by bad ram and it will cause other errors too.

mufaddal

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

the voltage is 12.10 v ay no load on load it goes lower than 12 to something like 11.98 .. i will post my 12v graph... the sound loops or it goes on by itself in the background... or the whole thing completely crashes to desktop... or it loops for a time then monitor screen goes black saying no signal when it comes back again to desktop it says VPU error recovery (game continues) ...

sometimes without no loop crash to desktop with the error message (not VPU error meassage the normal one )

in one occasion (only one) while playin burnout paradise.. i got BSOD saying atidvag some problem but that was only once when i had stock drivers...