Sign in with
Your question

What Fan to Use on My Radiator?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 9, 2012 8:16:02 PM

I am getting a 2x120mm radiator with 20fpi (XSPC slim). Just a simple question, what type of fan should I get? CFM? RPM? Noise isn't too much of an issue, but low would be nice. I know they need to be static pressure optimised. I've been looking into the new CORSAIR SP fans, SP120.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

Thanks in advance.

More about : fan radiator

a c 150 K Overclocking
June 9, 2012 9:52:50 PM

High CFM Fans is what you need.

I suggest the Aerocool Sharks!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2012 1:31:36 AM

High FPI = High CFM/RPM

Low FPI = Low CFM/RPM (higher ones will work better but are not required).
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 11, 2012 12:29:17 AM

You say the Xspc slim rad, is it the Ex or Rs?
Ex likes faster/louder fans and the Rs is happier with slow quiet fans same as the RX series
My Ex's have 2k rpm fans on but I lower the volts so they spin at 1k, haven't checked your link as I'm on the mobile at work,
*edit, checked, Gelids blue wing 120's push more air at a lower speed than those, and are about 10Db quieter :-)
Check the cooling fan roundup sticky for those and other good fans, and remember a fancontroller can always turn fast fans down
Moto
m
l
June 11, 2012 6:10:26 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
You say the Xspc slim rad, is it the Ex or Rs?
Ex likes faster/louder fans and the Rs is happier with slow quiet fans same as the RX series
My Ex's have 2k rpm fans on but I lower the volts so they spin at 1k, haven't checked your link as I'm on the mobile at work,
*edit, checked, Gelids blue wing 120's push more air at a lower speed than those, and are about 10Db quieter :-)
Check the cooling fan roundup sticky for those and other good fans, and remember a fancontroller can always turn fast fans down
Moto

It's an EX model. Thanks, I checked out their site and I can probably order some from Amazon, but I would prefer NewEgg. Are the Cooler Master XtraFlo fans good?
m
l
June 11, 2012 6:11:20 PM

I would appreciate if you could give me an average CFM per FPI. For 20 FPI, what CFM would the fans need to be?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2012 6:47:17 PM

There isn't really an average, but I would look at 70+ CFMs. My rad worked really well with the Scythe Slipstreams that push 110CFMs but they were a bit on the noisy side. If you don't care about noise, you could look at those, or the stronger Scythe Ultra Kaze or Delta fans - they'll make mini tornados.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 11, 2012 6:50:49 PM

I'm unaware of any recommended Cfm>Fpi charts, but the general rule is more Fpi, more Cfm required to cool effectively
with my Rx (8Fpi) I have some gelids blowing at about 600Rpm, any faster is just unnecessary noise and my EX's seem happiest at 1K, but as mentioned they are Xspc 2K fans turned down by splitting two to a channel,
I try to go for at least 60Cfm regardless of the Fpi, but after that its a balance of Cfm and noise, if you don't mind loud fans, grab some triebwerks :) 
Moto
m
l
!