Sign in with
Your question

Tired of loading times between areas in RPG's

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2009 8:05:16 AM

I have a 750GB WD HDD. Loading the OS, loading games, and loading areas take up too much time.

I'm thinking of getting:

1. 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB Raid 0
$110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2. OCZ Vertex MLC SSD 60GB
$220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The SSD would be for the OS and a few games, and the Samsungs would be used for storing music, movies, other games, etc.

Would I see a dramatic reduction in loading times with this configuration?

System specs:
Intel Core i7-920
Diamond Radeon HD 5970
Patriot DDR3 6GB 1333MHz Tri Channel
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Corsair CMPSU-650TX- 650W
WD 750GB Serial ATA/300HD, 32 MB buffer
Cooler Master HAF 932
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD-RW Gen II
Netgear WG311 G PCI 54 Mbps Wireless-G PCI Adapter
Windows 7 Home Premium
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2009 10:06:01 AM

What components do you have now? That's really the key to evaluating what could be affecting your loading time.

For all I know, you could have a great CPU right now, but a 5400RPM hard drive and 512MB of RAM. That could be affecting loading time.

Or you could have a great hard drive but a P4 processor and a crappy internet connection.

Or you could have a copy of Windows that's junked up with too many programs hogging all your resources. II really don't know.

Yeah, what you specified should run anything pretty fast. But it might be overkill too, and you could save yourself a few hundred dollars. Particularly, you may not need the SSD if another component is what's causing the problem. I think it's probably a better idea to post all your current specs and see if there's one easily identifiable bottleneck that's slowing down your system and loading speeds.
m
l
December 13, 2009 11:14:29 AM

capt_taco said:
What components do you have now? That's really the key to evaluating what could be affecting your loading time.

For all I know, you could have a great CPU right now, but a 5400RPM hard drive and 512MB of RAM. That could be affecting loading time.

Or you could have a great hard drive but a P4 processor and a crappy internet connection.

Or you could have a copy of Windows that's junked up with too many programs hogging all your resources. II really don't know.

Yeah, what you specified should run anything pretty fast. But it might be overkill too, and you could save yourself a few hundred dollars. Particularly, you may not need the SSD if another component is what's causing the problem. I think it's probably a better idea to post all your current specs and see if there's one easily identifiable bottleneck that's slowing down your system and loading speeds.

I posted my specs.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 13, 2009 11:15:36 AM

Oh maybe I should clarify, this is not a new build; it's my current built.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2009 3:40:14 PM

It should be a good deal faster. Although I'd personally get the corsair one if I could.

Why wireless G? I wouldn't be able to stand the slow/possible(probable) drops.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2009 7:37:36 PM

Oh, sorry. Didn't realize that was what you meant; thought you were posting the specs of the "new" system.

In that case, it does not look like anything else you have is causing a bottleneck. You'll wind up faster doing what you said. A big hard drive at low/regular RPMs can slow down loading times, and it sounds like that's what's happening.
m
l
!