Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Disabling hyperthreading

Last response: in Overclocking
June 10, 2012 6:06:30 AM

I have an i7 930. I use it for gaming. If I were to disable hyperthreading could I overclock the CPU to a higher frequency. I'm considering doing this because I'm pretty sure that games only really use the first 4 threads. So would be worth it to disable hyperthreading or should I just keep hyperthreading enabled.
June 10, 2012 7:15:18 AM

To my knowledge, certainly. If you installed an after market cooling solution you could overclock significantly even with hyperthreading enabled.

As you said, games atm don't use more than 4 threads so in theory you should be able to OC even more with HT disabled in BIOS.

Just do a bit of searching on the net and you will find the appropriate OC guides and always familiarize yourself with your BIOS.

It pays to know what you are doing, you don't want to accidentally fry that i7!

Good luck.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 10, 2012 7:15:47 AM

Depends on which games you are playing.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2012 1:06:07 PM

Disabling HT will drop your temperatures a few degrees, which will certainly help.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2012 1:52:21 PM

I suppose it could help some. The thing is, if those threads aren't being used, they don't really cause much heat anyway. It's when everything is being stressed that they can heat up your cpu, but that's also when they help it perform better.

For the most part, I would suggest leaving HT enabled. If you don't have good enough cooling for the worst case scenario, then you could leave them disabled and try overclocking some more. Generally HT can get good performance for its power use while overclocking that last little bit isn't so great.
June 21, 2012 4:52:39 AM

Best answer selected by lt_dan_zsu.
m
l
!