How do I know if a motherboard is compatible with the 6-core 980X CPU?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I'm cashing in a $3500-4000 savings bond and I've decided that I'd like to use some of that money to buy some better PC hardware, and use whats left to pay for some community college classes in the computer and technology field.

My current setup is as follows.

Core i7 930
ASUS P6T SE X58
6GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
Corsair TX850 850W PSU
DVD-RW Drive
2TB Hitachi 7200RPM HDD
No GPU (yet)
No OS (yet)

Coolermaster HAF 932 case

If I bought the Core i7 980X for roughly $1,050 which should be future proof for several more years, how do I know which motherboard is compatible with that 32nm 6-core CPU?

If I return my current CPU and motherboard, which were part of a bundle, I can get $300 back. I also have to buy another motherboard, any suggestions? Is the EVGA X58 classified compatible with the gulftown processor?

I could sell my CPU and motherboard separately, on the internet, they have not been opened yet, and make maybe $150 more.

I also have to buy my GPU and operating system, which I have been unable to so far because of financial reasons.

I'd be spending close to about $2,000 if I bought the rest of my hardware, ontop of the $1,000 I've already spent.

Other than the EVGA X58, which is quite expensive, but is the "holy grail' of X58 Core i7 motherboards, what other high-performance motherboards would you suggest, which are fully compatible with the gulftown processors?