Factory motherboard...upgrading PSU and GPU...will *this* work??

lithp

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I need advice. My motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot available. Processor is AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual-core. The current chipset is GeForce 6150 LE. I believe the current PSU is 300w. I can only support UP TO 460w. Also, I am thinking about getting an HP 23" monitor, which could be a bad idea by stretching my resolution limits. Below are the resolution specs. So, I need some advice for a good GPU that supports FPS gaming and a good 450-460w. For the GPU, I was looking at an XFX Radeon HD 4670 DDR2 for about $60 (requires only 400w minimum, but would that put pressure on my 460w max?). The PSU I am contemplating is Thermaltake Litepower 450w. The reason I have to go with the Radeon 4670 is I have DDR2 memory, and I do not feel like swapping out new memory and/or a motherboard to support it. It does all have to be DDR2 to be compatible with one another, correct? I can get the GPU and the PSU for about $130 total, which, if everything checks out compatibility wise, seems like a steal. So, are these two products right for my factory motherboard (Asus A8M2N-LA)? ANY help could save me from buying incorrect products. Oh and BTW, I bought this computer for $60 from Goodwill yesterday, stickers still on it...and it had never had an OS loaded on it...bargain shopping, eh?

For the XFX 4670 GPU: Max resolution - 2560 x 1600
For the HP w2338h 23" monitor: Recommended resolution - 1920 x 1080 @60 Hz

I realize I should probably get a 19" or a 20" monitor...I'm just putting it out there

Thank you..........

lithp

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I appreciate the insight rolli. The fact that DDR2 doesn't need to match up with the GDDR gives me more options. Any reason you suggest this psu? I can't find any reviews on it.

lithp

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, from what I read, they seem to be a solid psu for the money. The only difference between the 430 and the 430D I saw was that the 430 has under current protection whereas the 430D does not. Why is the 430D recommended and not the 430?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that or where you got it from but you can get any PSU you want. The only possible limiting factor would be getting a PSU that fits the form factor of your case. If it is standard you can get a 1000w PSU if you really wanted to.
If you do get the HD4670 definitely get the DDR3 version. It's not a good choice for your new resolution however. I would look at an HD5770. It's DX11, very power efficient and should be pretty good for your resolution. Any quality 400-450+ watt PSU should be able to handle it.

lithp

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Well, I sent the same post to HP tech support and they told me I can only support a 460w...I'm assuming because everything else is remainging factory except the gpu and psu that I will be upgrading. Not really sure why I can only support that level of wattage. I'm probably going with rolli's advice with the HIS raedon 4830 and the Antec 430d for my psu unless I can find other reason not to. And as far as getting a 23", I'll probably go the safe route with a 20", maybe something slightly larger if HP makes one. I mean, my processor is an Athlon x2 dual core and, not exactly something that would pair well with anything greater than the 4830...but I could be wrong...the last 2 nights have been a crash course tech class so I'm still learning it all again...

The wattage of a PSU represents the maximum power it can give to a system. There is no circumstance in which having a more capable PSU will make it incompatible with anything.
I suspect what the tech support guy meant was that a 460w PSU is the max HP will sell you perhaps, but no, your system can't possibly be limited in that way. Unless the case is a unique design and you do actually have to buy special PSUs that only HP sells.
Unfortunately this is out of stock;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102853
But if it comes back it's a better buy than the HD4830. It's slightly more powerful and it's 40nm which makes it much more power efficient/cool.

lithp

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
alright...confused somewhat...get a 550w or a 450w psu with the 4770? would the 550 just be too much wattage or is that alright since it gives me wattage to work with if I want to add some things or would the 450 be plenty.....I have just the DVD/RW, factory case fan, soon-to-be gpu in the pci-e slot, dual core processor...it's all factory with a 300w psu now...getting the 4770 would require jumping up to 550w? I don't plan on overclocking it, but I might change my mind it...don't even know if it has a bios...small priority really

The 550 corsair could be carried over to a modern single GPU system and could power a HD5850 with a I7 or Phenom II x4 with out problems. For your system with the 4770 the Antec earthwatts 430 is enough. There is no such thing as to much wattage since the PSU only delivers what the components pull from it. If the components only want 300watts that is all they are getting and you would be pulling based on 80% efficiency 375watts from the wall.

lithp

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Ok, assuming I get the 4770 and a 450w psu, what monitor would be the best fit, size and resolution wise? If I decide to go one step higher to a different gpu, would that monitor still work that? Getting a 23" monitor like I had planned seems like quality would be lost, but would it?

lithp

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I waited a month to get the sapphire 4770 and they are out of stock. Everywhere. The Red card is its replacement I assume. Is that worth getting instead, or should I shop for something else??