BIOS won't recognise new DVD drive

Hi all,

I just upgraded the cdrom drive on my Packard Bell (NEC) Easy One 1550
laptop to a DVD/CDRW combo drive. When the drive is plugged in the BIOS
can't recognise the drive, it just says that the IDE channel is empty. So I
tried upgrading the BIOS but it still won't recognise the drive. I can't
think of anything else to try. Many posts on this ng said that this sort of
upgrade was possible and the drives were standard.

Has anyone else run into this problem / Can think of anything else I can
try?

Thanks
Andrew
17 answers Last reply
More about bios recognise drive

    On or about 7/5/2004 4:12 PM, it came to pass that Andrew Wain wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just upgraded the cdrom drive on my Packard Bell (NEC) Easy One 1550
    > laptop to a DVD/CDRW combo drive. When the drive is plugged in the BIOS
    > can't recognise the drive, it just says that the IDE channel is empty. So I
    > tried upgrading the BIOS but it still won't recognise the drive. I can't
    > think of anything else to try. Many posts on this ng said that this sort of
    > upgrade was possible and the drives were standard.
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this problem / Can think of anything else I can
    > try?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andrew

    Don't know if this will work on your machine, but when I updgraded to a Liteon
    dvd/cdrw on my Dell 7000 it was necessary to get into BIOS setup then save the
    BIOS settings, even though nothing was changed, for the BIOS to see the drive.

    BTW you did not mention the brand name of the drive and if it had hardware or
    software settings for primary, secondary or cable select and how and if those
    were set.

    Have you checked that the drive
    is OK using another computer?

    Does the drive make good contact
    when it is plugged in?

    dk

    "Andrew Wain" <andrewwain@NOSPAM.computers39.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just upgraded the cdrom drive on my Packard Bell (NEC) Easy One 1550
    > laptop to a DVD/CDRW combo drive. When the drive is plugged in the BIOS
    > can't recognise the drive, it just says that the IDE channel is empty. So
    > tried upgrading the BIOS but it still won't recognise the drive. I can't
    > think of anything else to try. Many posts on this ng said that this sort
    of
    > upgrade was possible and the drives were standard.
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this problem / Can think of anything else I can
    > try?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andrew

    I just did a similar upgrade on a Toshiba 2805-S202, from a DVD/CDROM to
    a DVD/CD-RW burner. At powerup, you get a message "IDE#1 Failure", or
    something like that.

    However, the system boots, and everything works fine -- including the
    drive, in all 3 modes (DVD, CDROM and CD-RW burner). Basically, in this
    case, at least, you just have to ignore the message.

    On or about 7/5/2004 11:43 PM, it came to pass that Barry Watzman wrote:
    > I just did a similar upgrade on a Toshiba 2805-S202, from a DVD/CDROM to
    > a DVD/CD-RW burner. At powerup, you get a message "IDE#1 Failure", or
    > something like that.
    >
    > However, the system boots, and everything works fine -- including the
    > drive, in all 3 modes (DVD, CDROM and CD-RW burner). Basically, in this
    > case, at least, you just have to ignore the message.

    Barry
    Are you able to boot from the CD?

    My system would not boot from CD until the BIOS recognized the drive, even
    though Windows and Linux recognized and worked with the drive.

    I have tried connnecting the drive several times to make sure that it is
    making good contact and it seems to be doing. Haven't got another laptop to
    test it in, but the drive seems to have power because the eject button on
    the front works.

    Will try reconnecting the drive to the machine agiain just to make sure.

    Thanks
    Andrew

    PS the drive is a SONY CRX810e

    "arnb" <arnbRemoveThis@Arnb.org> wrote in message
    > On or about 7/5/2004 11:43 PM, it came to pass that Barry Watzman wrote:
    > > I just did a similar upgrade on a Toshiba 2805-S202, from a DVD/CDROM to
    > > a DVD/CD-RW burner. At powerup, you get a message "IDE#1 Failure", or
    > > something like that.
    > >
    > > However, the system boots, and everything works fine -- including the
    > > drive, in all 3 modes (DVD, CDROM and CD-RW burner). Basically, in this
    > > case, at least, you just have to ignore the message.
    >
    > Barry
    > Are you able to boot from the CD?
    >
    > My system would not boot from CD until the BIOS recognized the drive, even
    > though Windows and Linux recognized and worked with the drive.

    I doubt that it will because the BIOS needs to recognise the drive in order
    to choose what to boot from - still don't take my word for it coz I can't
    get my drive working even that much!

    Andrew

    No, I missed that, I can't boot from it. Fortunately, this computer has
    a floppy drive.

    Barry Watzman

    Andrew Wain wrote:
    > "arnb" <arnbRemoveThis@Arnb.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>On or about 7/5/2004 11:43 PM, it came to pass that Barry Watzman wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just did a similar upgrade on a Toshiba 2805-S202, from a DVD/CDROM to
    >>>a DVD/CD-RW burner. At powerup, you get a message "IDE#1 Failure", or
    >>>something like that.
    >>>
    >>>However, the system boots, and everything works fine -- including the
    >>>drive, in all 3 modes (DVD, CDROM and CD-RW burner). Basically, in this
    >>>case, at least, you just have to ignore the message.
    >>
    >>Barry
    >>Are you able to boot from the CD?
    >>
    >>My system would not boot from CD until the BIOS recognized the drive, even
    >>though Windows and Linux recognized and worked with the drive.
    >

    > I doubt that it will because the BIOS needs to recognise the drive in order
    > to choose what to boot from - still don't take my word for it coz I can't
    > get my drive working even that much!
    >
    > Andrew

    Check cabling with regard to drive select jumpers on the drive. Does the
    drive need to be jumpered as master? slave? cable select? Compare with the
    original.

    Good point, but I have not been able to find any such jumpers.

    In article <89dHc.22023$2T2.11787@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
    Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

    >Mike S. wrote:
    >
    >> Check cabling with regard to drive select jumpers on the drive. Does the
    >> drive need to be jumpered as master? slave? cable select? Compare with the
    >> original.
    >>

    >Good point, but I have not been able to find any such jumpers.

    I remember reading here, but can't recall the specifics, that with some
    laptop drives it is written into firmware and can't be changed. Perhaps
    someone else can fill in the blanks.

    That would make sense, as there are no visible jumpers on the drive. I am
    now trying to alter the jumpers on the HDD (I always thought that laptop
    drives came with 2 IDE channels and didn't have jumpers), in the hope that I
    can get the correct master / slave configuration to match what's in the DVD
    drive's firmware.

    Starting to think that it might be easier to just pick up another laptop
    that already has a dvd drive built in - after all, the floppy drive on this
    one has been bust for a long time!

    Andrew

    "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

    > In article <89dHc.22023$2T2.11787@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
    > Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >Mike S. wrote:
    > >
    > >> Check cabling with regard to drive select jumpers on the drive. Does
    the
    > >> drive need to be jumpered as master? slave? cable select? Compare with
    the
    > >> original.
    > >>

    > >Good point, but I have not been able to find any such jumpers.
    > >

    > I remember reading here, but can't recall the specifics, that with some
    > laptop drives it is written into firmware and can't be changed. Perhaps
    > someone else can fill in the blanks.

    On the 2805, I know that the HD and CD are on different channels. Since
    both do work (but CD is not recognized by BIOS), perhaps the CD is set
    to slave, so that the second IDE channel has no master.

    In the drive that I removed (not the burner, but the DVD/CD), there is a
    hole in the drive covered with some black plastic electrical tape.
    There are no jumpers, but there are a few components there. It's quite
    possible that those are zero ohm resistors that are used as jumpers.

    Andrew Wain wrote:

    > That would make sense, as there are no visible jumpers on the drive. I am
    > now trying to alter the jumpers on the HDD (I always thought that laptop
    > drives came with 2 IDE channels and didn't have jumpers), in the hope that I
    > can get the correct master / slave configuration to match what's in the DVD
    > drive's firmware.
    >
    > Starting to think that it might be easier to just pick up another laptop
    > that already has a dvd drive built in - after all, the floppy drive on this
    > one has been bust for a long time!
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <89dHc.22023$2T2.11787@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
    >>Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

    > the

    > the

    >>>Good point, but I have not been able to find any such jumpers.
    >>>

    >>I remember reading here, but can't recall the specifics, that with some
    >>laptop drives it is written into firmware and can't be changed. Perhaps
    >>someone else can fill in the blanks.

    Sounds like is is possible, if they do have to lock drives like that, y
    can't they make them locked as cable select so they are still useable. The
    question is, does my drive have resisters, and do I want to risk it.

    Time for some more research.
    Thanks
    Andrew

    > On the 2805, I know that the HD and CD are on different channels. Since
    > both do work (but CD is not recognized by BIOS), perhaps the CD is set
    > to slave, so that the second IDE channel has no master.
    >
    > In the drive that I removed (not the burner, but the DVD/CD), there is a
    > hole in the drive covered with some black plastic electrical tape.
    > There are no jumpers, but there are a few components there. It's quite
    > possible that those are zero ohm resistors that are used as jumpers.
    >

    > Andrew Wain wrote:
    >
    > > That would make sense, as there are no visible jumpers on the drive. I
    am
    > > now trying to alter the jumpers on the HDD (I always thought that laptop
    > > drives came with 2 IDE channels and didn't have jumpers), in the hope
    that I
    > > can get the correct master / slave configuration to match what's in the
    DVD
    > > drive's firmware.
    > >
    > > Starting to think that it might be easier to just pick up another laptop
    > > that already has a dvd drive built in - after all, the floppy drive on
    this
    > > one has been bust for a long time!
    > >
    > > Andrew
    > >
    > > "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

    > > the

    > > the

    > >>I remember reading here, but can't recall the specifics, that with some
    > >>laptop drives it is written into firmware and can't be changed. Perhaps
    > >>someone else can fill in the blanks.

    >From: "Andrew Wain" andrewwain@NOSPAM.computers39.fsnet.co.uk
    >
    >Hi all,
    >I just upgraded the cdrom drive on my Packard Bell
    >(NEC) Easy One 1550 laptop to a DVD/CDRW combo drive.
    >When the drive is plugged in the BIOS can't recognise
    >the drive, it just says that the IDE channel is
    >empty. So I tried upgrading the BIOS but it still
    >won't recognise the drive. I can't think of anything else
    >to try. Many posts on this ng said that this
    >sort of upgrade was possible and the drives were standard.
    >Has anyone else run into this problem / Can think
    >of anything else I can try?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Andrew

    If you are adding a CDRW (plus the original CD rom Drive) to your 'puter
    Laptop (a Nec/PB Easy One 1550) then this set-up, most likely, is your
    problem. Your laptop's system motherboard (mobo) may not be ported to
    except an additional drive. You may only be able to have one or the
    other drive.

    Suggestion: Try this:

    works correctly with your unit's BIOS & observe the screen post..
    Use the original BIOS (better yet, use the latest APPROVED updated
    Bios).
    THEN remove the original CD Rom & replace it with the new CDRW drive.
    Set the bios configuration so that your unit boots from Floppy to CD to
    Hard drive & see if that works.
    Your Bios may only SCREEN POST that it see's the CDRW as a CD Rom but
    that should not effect anything. Then install your CDRW Burn software &
    see if all works as expected..

    BTW
    If your not "adding a new drive" (not replacing the old drive) to your
    'puter system, then my advice is useless.

    S_H

    > Barry Watzmanwrote:
    I just did a similar upgrade on a Toshiba 2805-S202, from a DVD/CDROM
    > a DVD/CD-RW burner. At powerup, you get a message "IDE#1 Failure",
    or
    > something like that.
    >
    > However, the system boots, and everything works fine -- including
    the
    > drive, in all 3 modes (DVD, CDROM and CD-RW burner). Basically, in
    this
    > case, at least, you just have to ignore the message.
    >

    > Andrew Wain wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just upgraded the cdrom drive on my Packard Bell (NEC) Easy One
    1550
    > laptop to a DVD/CDRW combo drive. When the drive is plugged in the
    BIOS
    > can't recognise the drive, it just says that the IDE channel is
    empty. So I
    > tried upgrading the BIOS but it still won't recognise the drive. I
    can't
    > think of anything else to try. Many posts on this ng said that this
    sort of
    > upgrade was possible and the drives were standard.
    >
    > Has anyone else run into this problem / Can think of anything else I
    can
    > try?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andrew

    This questions is for you Barry Watzman;
    I have a toshiba 2805 s202 also and am finding it impossible to swap
    out the cd/dvd drive for a new one. How did you get it open?

    we should let the readers know that to access the removal screws of
    the drive they have to pop up the silver plastic "top" above the
    function keys that houses the power and internet buttons.

    I finally managed to get the upgrade completed in a completely
    satisfactory manner. I'll be glad to help (much of this was here on
    this site), but your question is unclear to me. What are you asking?

    > This questions is for you Barry Watzman;
    > I have a toshiba 2805 s202 also and am finding it impossible to swap
    > out the cd/dvd drive for a new one. How did you get it open?

Laptops BIOS DVD Drives