Intel Core i7 975 Extreme needs thermal compound?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

what the hell kind of person buys anything other than a 920 if they're intending to overclock? Unlocked multipliers just makes things more convenient.

The 975 is higher binned, and will usually overclock higher than a 920. Whether it goes enough higher to be worth it is a separate debate, but there are reasons to get something other than a 920 for overclocking.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

im not sure if you guys read what i said.

he is not going to overclock.(at least, it doesn't look like it bu the post) so he has spent hundreds of extra dollars for overclocking potential he will not use.

He asked about both a non-overclocked situation and an overclocked one. From that, I would guess that he is considering overclocking, but hasn't decided yet.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

ah, i didn't even see that. my bad.

im not sure a guy asking questions like that SHOULD overclock though...

munjashkin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

My advice: Don't judge a book by the cover!
cjl IS right!

Everything has to have a perfect timing!

only if you want it to not melt.
Check YOUR grammar first --> "Only if you want it NOT TO melt"!

Get a DEGREE first, an official one.
OCing, from my point of view, IS NOT only for playing GAMES.

Superlative computing IS much more important!

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
^^ what ARE you talking about?

You go from asking a fundamental question about using thermal compound or not to berating people on grammar, waving the concept of higher education around like it means something as if suddenly you're inferior if you're not degree educated.

Exactly what are you trying to achieve here? Do you want help, or just want to be a douche?

welshmousepk

Distinguished

firstly, you don't even know what grammar is. my grammar was fine. you are criticizing my word placement, which was also fine. don't worry though, you've simply made yourself look like an idiot, and insulted people helping you.

id recommend never coming back to these forums again.