XFX 9600GT......PSU??

savandes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
hi....this is the first time i'm requesting forum help regarding my pc.

I have a a XFX 9600gt card and its always given me some issues when it comes to gaming. The picture would often change its colour and go all wrong.

But since recently i think its increased its frequency and i was wondering why. I have a 500W power unit but its not a branded model. Could it be due to my power supply. I've ruled out any heating issues.

( to describe the problem in more detail.....The game would usually start smoothly but later at varying time intervals (from a few secs to 20-30mins) the whole screen would go wrong. The colours will change and the images or characters in the game would look like they are still being constructed!!! If Iswitch back to the desktop for a few secs and return back to the game window everything will look normal again....for a few mins!!! A restart of the pc sometimes corrects it but not cirtain. But somedays i would play the same game for hours without a problem.)

I would really appreciate your help on this regard.....

My pc specs,

Gigabyte motherboard
intel core2duo E6750 2.66GHz
2GB ram
9600GT
300GB HDD
SONY DVD rom

Early advise would be much appreciated.

Solution
Yes, it could be... It's not reliable to use double 4 pin molex to pci-e converter.
PSU is the most important part of my system if u asked me... :)

Do u have another computer or another PSU? Try on with it and see if your problem still exist..

savandes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks wa.....
just needed to add this in just incase it matters.

My psu does not have a pci-e power cable so i have used the double 4 pin molex to pci-e convertor to power my card. Would that cause any issue.

The other thing is my power unit is a cheap one compared to the originals in the market. I've heard that the cheaper ones have a much much lower out put wattage than whats stated. Could be even low as 250W. Do you think that could cause this?

My card is under warrenty. Double lifetime. But just wanted to make sure its not my PSU.

No heating. I used riva tuner and everest to check my GPU temps. Looks good.

Thanks gys so much. So nice to have ppl so helpful.

savandes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Thanks wa.....
just needed to add this in just incase it matters.

My psu does not have a pci-e power cable so i have used the double 4 pin molex to pci-e convertor to power my card. Would that cause any issue.

The other thing is my power unit is a cheap one compared to the originals in the market. I've heard that the cheaper ones have a much much lower out put wattage than whats stated. Could be even low as 250W. Do you think that could cause this?

My card is under warrenty. Double lifetime. But just wanted to make sure its not my PSU.

No heating. I used riva tuner and everest to check my GPU temps. Looks good.

Thanks gys so much. So nice to have ppl so helpful.

Yes, it could be... It's not reliable to use double 4 pin molex to pci-e converter.
PSU is the most important part of my system if u asked me... :)

Do u have another computer or another PSU? Try on with it and see if your problem still exist..

Solution

savandes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Wow guys.....thanks.....I really appreciate your advise and thoughts......I know its really important but i can hardly afford a good one. But I think I'm going to change mine and see.

I'll keep you uys updated on what happens k.....

Thank you so much again.

savandes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Okay wa.....I need to ask you one last thing....I just remembered this so I thought I should ask you,

Some days ago after a few attempts of trying to refresh a game (Dragon Age Origins) my pc suddenly crashed....Meaning it just turned itself off....completely to restart on its own after a second or two.....horrified me....and it happened one more time after that too....

With that happening do you still think it could be a graphics card issue or doesn't it point more towards a PSU issue???

Please please try to solve my problem.....

Thank you,

One more thing to add.....when I'm gaming or sometimes even when i am not i can here theclick sound of my UPS turning off and on. Had been happening ever since i got my card.......hope that would help....

savandes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
okay guys......with my specs tell me the kind of PSU i should get? and also the model names i should be looking for.....I've read a lot about this and i think no matter what i shouldn't go for a geneeric name.....

savandes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Wa1.....Hope you saw my above responcce....please please please reply.....Totally relying on your word.....

I've decided to buy a branded PSU....no matter how much it costs......thank you guys

savandes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hey gys....

Wanted to update u.....I have little patience so i went and got my self an ASUS 500W PSU....It had some really good specs with a proper output of more than 470W.....Had all the necessary cables and all......Not the most efficient of PSU's but it looked like it'll serve my budget.....Cost me around $110....

But gys it changed everything....all this time(5months) I've been running on a low powered PSU....thank god my pc din vlow up......everything is so smooth now.....no trouble what so ever.....

But all thanks to you gys.....if not i wouldn't have known what to do....specially wa.....thank u so much for ur advise.....keep up the good work gys....

Thanks again.