Will the 5770 run on this computer?

Marksest

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hey, I'm buying a new computer and I'm trying to keep a low budget. I want to buy this computer with an ATI 5770. I'm going to be using it for editing and some gaming. My question is will the PSU on the computer be able to run the 5770? It's only 300W, and the recommended is 450 so I doubt it will. If it doesn't is there a way I could connect the 6 pin to another PSU? I have a few I can salvage. Thanks in advance.
EDIT: I would buy a 4870 but my PSU is already stretched, the 4870 uses more power when idle then the 5770 does at full blast.

Marksest

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Well, I'm not the most tech savy person around, the most I've done is install a few GFX cards. I'm quite sure I would probably completely destroy any computer I tried to change the PSU on, and my budget is already stretched.

Marksest

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I might replace it, but two of them would be my first choice. Do you know if that would cause any issues? Also, do you think this card is overkill for this computer?

I can almost guarantee that the 5770 will not run on that PSU, HP stocked it with a 4350 which is incredibly low power, if they could have gotten away with using a 250W unit they would have, adding in a 5770 which is significantly more powerful would almost certainly overtax the unit.

Replacing a PSU isnt all that difficult, you just unplug all of the cables, undo 4 screws, remove the unit, put in new unit, put in 4 screws, plug in all of the cables, done. Getting it out of the case is the tricky part on prebuilts with cramped towers but it is still possible, i did it a couple years ago on my HP, you may need someone who is good at puzzles to help you get it out though, hopefully their towers are more spacious now than they were back in 02.

PepperIsNot1337

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009