Sign in with
Your question

Want opinions on new custom built comp

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2009 1:58:19 PM

I'm planning on buying this custom built computer within the next few days/weeks and would like some 2nd opinions on whether it's worth it or not. Personally I think it really is but I want to see what the community says. :) 

Intel i7-860 2.8Ghz 8M Cache
4GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
500GB Sata HDD
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896Mb GDDR3
22x DVD Burner
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit Full Version, Not Trial (What's the difference between 32 and 64bit?)
680Watt Power Supply
Just a regular generic case, will upgrade to better case in a few months, such as gaming case with better airflow, etc
$1300AUD

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Few days/weeks from the time of this post.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: A lot of gaming, web browsing, photo editing, multitasking, maybe video decoding

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Cables, etc

OVERCLOCKING: No, not at this current time, it's a non issue for me right now.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

Well that's about all I can think of right now. Please leave your opinions and advice, I will get back to you.
December 13, 2009 2:17:03 PM

You need to change some things if you want this PC to work. First off, You will need a 64 bit OS with those 4GB of RAM. Second, why pay for a 275 when a 5850 is in the same ballpark and is a much better card? Third, I already know you will want a different power supply. Anything labeled 680W is not quality.

Quality power supply manufacturers are: Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and some of the more expensive OCZ's. Those are top notch names. You may be satisfied with some mid level ones like OCZ and Thermaltake but I strongly advise you spend more on a quality power supply to avoid blowouts and fails and they get better warranties.

For the most part you should be fine with an i5. I know you will be doing encoding but the i5 is much cheaper and you will be gaming more than anything else. Food for thought, my PII X4 955 encodes very well so you don't need an i7 for encoding. i7 's are suggested for enthusiasts or work intensive PC's.
m
l
December 13, 2009 11:39:45 PM

Okay well I've sorted out the power supply and the OS, now going for 850W power supply and Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I'm still working out the video card, and I think I'm going to stick with the i7 :/ 

Thanks very much for the advice though, any more would be great.
m
l
December 14, 2009 6:54:29 AM

When you are picking a video card don't pick one because its amazing pick one for your current needs. I wanted a 5850 but I have only one monitor and every game out right now runs great with a 5770. I went with a full 16x16x Crossfire motherboard to prepare me for the future when I need more GPU power.

You shouldn't need an 850W. An 80 Plus rating 750W power supply will run your system with no problems even with Crossfire and SLI.

Finding the right combination of what you need and what you want is key but it takes time. Took me 4 months starting with no knowledge of PC's whatsoever.
m
l
!