Help choose a PSU

gexon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I'm using cheap "chieftec cft-650-14cs" which is not efficient and quality enough comparing to the other latest PSU's. I'm afraid this PSU may burn all my components after some time.

I need a quality PSU for this configuration:

Processor: Core i7 920 2.66Mhz
VGA: MSI Geforce GTX275 TWIN FROZR OC
Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R
Memory: Corsair XMS3 3x2GB Triple Channel
Storage: Samsung HD103UJ

I heard corsair are very durable PSU's with good protection. I don't know which of these to choose corsair 650HX or 750HX ? Which would be the most suitable for my system? Will my pc work stable if i choose 750w psu?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
At full load, you're rig probably won't even be using 300w. PSUs are most efficient near 50% capacity, so if you're not planning on adding a second GTX 275, the 650 is a great fit for you. If you want a little more room, the 750 will do well also.

If you hit this PSU list:
https://rankedpsulist.dabbledb.com/page/rankedpsulist/aninOXDN
the higher amp 43-54 or lower amp 55-64 range is what you'd be looking for. That will give you lots of great choices based on quality reviews and find something on sale maybe instead of just looking at corsairs.

It's built on an 80+ rated CWT PSH platform, what are you afraid of ?
The same basic platform is used by a host of psu providers, the most noteable being Corsair and Thermaltake.
The Corsair HX models are built on a newer CWT platform and are certainly higher quality, but I think you're fear that your current psu may burn your components is silly.

+1 what delluser1 said.

Based on the model number you have a Super Chieftec power supply. It is a very good power supply made by CWT for Chieftec. No need to worry.

What makes you think it is a cheap power supply? Can you porovide a link to such information? I'd like to see it.

gexon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
"It's built on an 80+ rated CWT PSH platform, what are you afraid of ? "
You confuse CFT-650-14C with CFT-650-14CS. The one i mentioned is 75% efficiency and produce much heat, i often have to open my room windows to blow out CO2 which smells like rubber. Especially after i play some games. This PSU doesn't contain under voltage protection. You pay for what you get.

I paid ~75$ two months ago. It's the cheapest 650w psu sold in my country.

I don't think I made a mistake. When I checked references I copied and pasted model number cft-650-14cs which is for a Chieftec Super model that has a black psu case. The cft-650-14c is for the Chieftec Turbo model that has the blue case. Both are currently made by CWT for Chieftec.

In the past the power supplies were made by other manufacturers - Delta and/or Sirtec.

TRENDING THREADS