Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Problems with identifing Graphic card socket.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2009 3:59:36 PM

Hello Everybody:

I want to install a new graphic card in my cousin's computer.

She doesn't know much about computers, and with my directions she installed the SIWportable software.

For some reason the software doesn't work quiet right and lacks a lot of details.

In the Motherboard section it's written: "Model: P4M800PRO8237", and a few more things about north and south bridge.
It's almost impossible to find this model, I passed over many websites, but still with no luck.

In the Video section it's written: "Display Adapter: VIA/S3G UniChrome Peo IGP" and the same under the Video Processor category.

She lives far from me, and I want to save myself this ride to there just to check it.

Please any ideas? Even the motherboard model will be helpful.

Thank you.

Best solution

a c 1399 U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 4:18:50 PM

It is an old VIA P4 chipset that only supports AGP. It came with onboard Unichrome.
It should support AGPx8.
December 13, 2009 4:37:39 PM

Are you sure that this motherboard doesn't support PCI? Because the AGP cards are usually more expensive than the PCI.

Can you tell me anything about the memory sockets of this motherboard?

Thank you.
Score
Related resources
a c 1399 U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 6:06:09 PM

If you are referring to PCIexpress. That chip set is to old to support that! Typically they had 184 pin ddr support but some had option for both ddr and ddr2.
If you can find motherboard manufacture name or a name for an oem system and builder it would be easier to nail this down.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 10:21:25 PM

An easy way to identify an AGP slot versus a PCIe x16 slot is how far it is offset from the other slots (almost any motherboard I've heard of will also have at least 2-3 regular PCI slots).

If it's a PCIe x16 slot, the back will be roughly in line with the rest of the PCI slots. (like this: http://www.karbosguide.com/books/pcarchitecture/images/...)

If it's an AGP slot, it'll be inset by about an inch. (like this: http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/graphic-cards/10258...)

Also, it's pretty common for the type of slot will be printed in small letters on the motherboard itself, right next to the slot. If you still aren't sure, open up the case and look.
Score
December 14, 2009 11:33:01 AM

The problem is, that I want to save myself this ride to my cousin's house to open up the case and look for it. If I could open up the case I would have done it already, the problem is that I have to deal with the information that I got from the SIW software, and try to work with it.

Assuming that I'll buy an AGP card, can you tell me what kind of RAM will I need for this board (in terms of memory slots and speed)? I'm sorry I messed you up with it.

Thank you.
Score
a c 1399 U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 8:47:57 PM

About memory we can not tell unless we know the manufacturer some boards had both ddr and ddr2 support so we need to get the actual board manufacturer or a name if it is one of the branded PC like Dell/HP/gateway and so on.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2009 8:53:12 PM

l_r_c_t said:
Assuming that I'll buy an AGP card, can you tell me what kind of RAM will I need for this board (in terms of memory slots and speed)? I'm sorry I messed you up with it.

Do you mean the RAM on the video card? Or that you're also planning on buying more RAM for the motherboard itself.

They are completely separate ... a video card with any kind of RAM will work in any motherboard so long as the right slot is available. (e.g. a DDR3 video card will work in a DDR motherboard, a DDR2 motherboard, etc.) However, if you're talking regular system RAM, you need to get the right kind, and for that you need the specs of the motherboard.

I would assume most AGP systems are pretty old and probably use regular DDR. But it's conceivable they could use DDR2. Definitely post the model of the mobo.
Score
December 15, 2009 1:18:56 PM

capt_taco I thought that there will be a confusion, and I'm sorry I didn't correct it on time, I meant RAM for the motherboard itself. but thank you anyway.

rolli59 This is the problem, the software doesn't give me more than the information that I posted, I wanted to see if anyone can get or understand any thing from what I do posted.

I guess I will have to go anyway to check her motherboard and to see what is the memory slot kind and it's speed.

Thank you guys for your help and dedication.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 15, 2009 1:24:33 PM

Get her to install CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
That should tell you what memory is currently in the system, in what slots, at what speed, ect.
Score
December 16, 2009 7:13:02 PM

jyjjy thank you, I'll try that, and post the outcome.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 2:06:41 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!