Involuntary SIM cloning

Last response: in Video Games
January 23, 2005 9:22:58 PM

One of my sims spontaneously cloned himself, and I do not know how to
eliminate the wrong clone without distorting the game.

Sim A lived alone, and was engaged to sim B, also living alone. At B's
home, they married, had a nice party and A moved in to B. Now, A's home
shows up as empty on the neighbourhood map (with an appropriate price for
an empty house), but when I enter the house, I meet some A-like sim who
pretends to be married to B. In contrast, at the new home everything
seems alright.

Apparently the game has not correctly updated the movement information. I
would like to let a new family move in to the now empty house (former
home of A), and the house shows up as a possible target on the
neighbourhood. But I am afraid that in the current state of disorder,
this could lead yet to more trouble. Has anyone experiences with this
strange behaviour?

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:22:58 +0100, Philipp Lucas
<phlucas@online-club.de> wrote:

>One of my sims spontaneously cloned himself, and I do not know how to
>eliminate the wrong clone without distorting the game.
>
>Sim A lived alone, and was engaged to sim B, also living alone. At B's
>home, they married, had a nice party and A moved in to B. Now, A's home
>shows up as empty on the neighbourhood map (with an appropriate price for
>an empty house), but when I enter the house, I meet some A-like sim who
>pretends to be married to B. In contrast, at the new home everything
>seems alright.
>
>Apparently the game has not correctly updated the movement information. I
>would like to let a new family move in to the now empty house (former
>home of A), and the house shows up as a possible target on the
>neighbourhood. But I am afraid that in the current state of disorder,
>this could lead yet to more trouble. Has anyone experiences with this
>strange behaviour?

That must be what's going on with my Don Lothario, who is now Don Goth
but still shows up in his old house, even though it's supposedly for
sale. Last night I played the house with him in it (I posted about
it, with the subject line "The Secret Life of Don Lothario-Goth" in
alt.games.the-sims; I should have crossposted it here) to see what I
can and can't do. So far: He had no money when I first went in the
house, but Build and Buy stuff cost nothing; he does go to work and
bring home a salary and has to pay bills and the maid; he can invite
people over, but so far they never show up; he can get someone there
by using a teleporter hack, and that person treats the house as their
own but can't be controlled, and he doesn't have the Say Goodbye
option with them. I will probably have to use the teleporter to get
them to leave. I haven't gone back into the Goth house to see
whether any of this affects the Don who is (I hope) living there.

You could try backing up your game files, moving a family in, and
deleting or killing the clone, if he's still there. Then go to his
new house and see if he's okay. If not, restore your backup.

BW
January 24, 2005 7:57:23 AM

Philipp Lucas <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in news:35i4mrF4jvc3fU1
@individual.net:

> One of my sims spontaneously cloned himself, and I do not know how to
> eliminate the wrong clone without distorting the game.
>
> Sim A lived alone, and was engaged to sim B, also living alone. At B's
> home, they married, had a nice party and A moved in to B. Now, A's home
> shows up as empty on the neighbourhood map (with an appropriate price for
> an empty house), but when I enter the house, I meet some A-like sim who
> pretends to be married to B. In contrast, at the new home everything
> seems alright.
>
> Apparently the game has not correctly updated the movement information. I
> would like to let a new family move in to the now empty house (former
> home of A), and the house shows up as a possible target on the
> neighbourhood. But I am afraid that in the current state of disorder,
> this could lead yet to more trouble. Has anyone experiences with this
> strange behaviour?

Are you using a pirated copy of the sims by chance ?
Related resources
January 24, 2005 11:23:09 AM

lmao
oh dear..

--
- D
"Rico" <BC@dt.com> wrote in message
> Are you using a pirated copy of the sims by chance ?

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 7:24:33 PM

Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
>Philipp Lucas <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in news:35i4mrF4jvc3fU1
>@individual.net:
>> One of my sims spontaneously cloned himself, and I do not know how to
>> eliminate the wrong clone without distorting the game.
>Are you using a pirated copy of the sims by chance ?

No. (I also do not use any hacks, or even any possibly hacked items.)

As there is only one actual copy of the person in the game, it seems safe
to play just from the correct location and leave the "secret love nest"
(as the other poster called it in a.g.t-s) untouched.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:23:09 GMT, "D" <deeus@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>lmao
>oh dear..

That guy is a broken record, isn't he?

I have a similar problem with Don Goth (formerly Don Lothario) still
showing up in his old house. I don't have a pirated game. It's just
a bug. There are plenty of those without jumping to conclusions about
pirated games.

BW
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:24:59 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:24:33 +0100, Philipp Lucas
<phlucas@online-club.de> wrote:

>Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
>>Philipp Lucas <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in news:35i4mrF4jvc3fU1
>>@individual.net:
>>> One of my sims spontaneously cloned himself, and I do not know how to
>>> eliminate the wrong clone without distorting the game.
>>Are you using a pirated copy of the sims by chance ?
>
>No. (I also do not use any hacks, or even any possibly hacked items.)
>
>As there is only one actual copy of the person in the game, it seems safe
>to play just from the correct location and leave the "secret love nest"
>(as the other poster called it in a.g.t-s) untouched.

That's me. Next thing I'm going to try is back up the neighborhood
and see if I can send him to a community lot and back. I'm theorizing
that the cab will come (since the maid's van does come, unlike invited
Sims) but he might not be able to take the cab back to the love nest.

And it's definitely just one person in the game. He and Cassandra had
a baby in the Goth house, and the baby shows up in his relationship
list when he's at the love nest. Likewise, skills, relationship
points, and aspirations points acquired at the love nest also show up
for him at the Goth house.

BW
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:46:07 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:24:33 +0100, Philipp Lucas
<phlucas@online-club.de> wrote:

>Rico <BC@dt.com> wrote:
>>Philipp Lucas <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in news:35i4mrF4jvc3fU1
>>@individual.net:
>>> One of my sims spontaneously cloned himself, and I do not know how to
>>> eliminate the wrong clone without distorting the game.
>>Are you using a pirated copy of the sims by chance ?
>
>No. (I also do not use any hacks, or even any possibly hacked items.)

I'm still wondering how this happens. In my case, Don Lothario was at
work the last time I saved his old house. He had also left a guest
there. Those are the two variables that could be tested.

When he married Cassandra, it was a different day at the Goth house,
and it was earlier in the day when he came over. I'm wondering
whether he was still at his old house because that's where the game
was programmed to return him after work.

Was your "cloned" Sim at work in his old house when you last played it
before the wedding?

BW
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:29:41 PM

barbara@bookpro.com wrote:

>I'm still wondering how this happens. In my case, Don Lothario was at
>work the last time I saved his old house. He had also left a guest
>there. Those are the two variables that could be tested.
>
>When he married Cassandra, it was a different day at the Goth house,
>and it was earlier in the day when he came over. I'm wondering
>whether he was still at his old house because that's where the game
>was programmed to return him after work.
>
>Was your "cloned" Sim at work in his old house when you last played it
>before the wedding?

I am almost sure that he was at home alone. I never save when none of the
primary Sims is awake at home, and as far as I remember, the Sim (I call
him "Don" as well, for reference) had just bid farewell to his
then-finacee when I saved and changed to her house (I wanted to make the
party at her place, because there was more space).

Clone-Don also can invite other Sims, which never come.

Interesting observation: Both Dons have the same aspirations and
memories, /but different needs/. Changes in aspiration propagate to the
other Sim, changes in needs do not.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:29:41 +0100, Philipp Lucas
<phlucas@online-club.de> wrote:

>barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
>
>>I'm still wondering how this happens. In my case, Don Lothario was at
>>work the last time I saved his old house. He had also left a guest
>>there. Those are the two variables that could be tested.
>>
>>When he married Cassandra, it was a different day at the Goth house,
>>and it was earlier in the day when he came over. I'm wondering
>>whether he was still at his old house because that's where the game
>>was programmed to return him after work.
>>
>>Was your "cloned" Sim at work in his old house when you last played it
>>before the wedding?
>
>I am almost sure that he was at home alone. I never save when none of the
>primary Sims is awake at home, and as far as I remember, the Sim (I call
>him "Don" as well, for reference) had just bid farewell to his
>then-finacee when I saved and changed to her house (I wanted to make the
>party at her place, because there was more space).

Hmmm, so much for my theory, then!

>Clone-Don also can invite other Sims, which never come.
>
>Interesting observation: Both Dons have the same aspirations and
>memories, /but different needs/. Changes in aspiration propagate to the
>other Sim, changes in needs do not.

I didn't notice about the needs. I guess that makes sense because
visiting Sims don't seem to keep the same needs they had at home, from
what I can tell. (I guess I could use a hack to find out for sure.)

I used a hacked set of clothing store objects last night to let "love
nest Don" buy some new clothes without leaving the love nest (I was
afraid if he went to a community lot, he couldn't come back). I had
to give him some cheat money to buy them. They don't show up in the
dresser on the love nest lot, though. Tonight I'll check whether they
are in the dresser at the Goth house.

BW