Sign in with
Your question

Heat sink?

Last response: in Components
February 22, 2010 10:58:33 AM

Hello,

My computer has been shutting down on its own ever since I changed my old broken mobo for a new microATX one. Googling, I found that CPU overheating could be a possible cause. Checking the BIOS, I saw that the CPU temp was over 100C and creeped up to 109C before shutting off again.

At the time I was installing, I figured it wasn't too big of a deal, but I was unable to push down all 4 pins on the heat sink - instead, I could only firmly secure 2 adjacent pins. Even with just 2 secured pins, though, it stayed in place pretty well, so I thought it would be alright, but I guess I was wrong.

I'm still fairly new with computer hardware, and this was my first attempt at putting in a mobo, so I was hoping to get some confirmation that this was indeed a heat sink issue. If that is the case, I was also hoping to get some advice on a replacement heat sink that would fit in my microATX mobo.

Thanks in advance.

Current mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Potential budget heat sink? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : heat sink

February 22, 2010 11:31:18 AM

Those push-pins are a pain. You could get one of these to re-seat your existing HSF.
-- Remember to clean off the old thermal paste.
-- Replace with Arctic Silver 5.
-- Do not overtighten the nuts, hand-tight then maybe another 1/2 to 3/4 turn - you want the HSF firmly seated, you do not need to warp you motherboard or the CPU.

I've been using this on my Arctic Freezer for about 3 months because the push-pins wore out.
m
l
February 23, 2010 10:33:59 AM

Hiya, thanks for the response and suggestions.

Unfortunately, it looks like the mounting device you linked is currently unavailable on newegg. Would this alternative work as well?

Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2010 12:42:34 PM

Hold on a sec.

It definitely sounds as if you did not seat and secure the cpu heatsink properly.

Please post a list of your system components, including the case, and the cpu heatsink that you had trouble installing.

m
l
February 23, 2010 1:02:19 PM

kg135 said:

At the time I was installing, I figured it wasn't too big of a deal, but I was unable to push down all 4 pins on the heat sink - instead, I could only firmly secure 2 adjacent pins. Even with just 2 secured pins, though, it stayed in place pretty well, so I thought it would be alright, but I guess I was wrong.

Here's an idea that will cost nothing;
Remove the motherboard from the case and lock all of the HSF pins.
m
l
February 23, 2010 9:16:27 PM

The case appears to be a Vortex 3620 from Maxcube. The heat sink was what originally came with the same CPU a while back, an Intel Core Duo.

Quote:
Here's an idea that will cost nothing;
Remove the motherboard from the case and lock all of the HSF pins.

I probably spent close to 15mins trying to secure all 4 pins when I was initially putting in my new mobo. I only gave up eventually and tried with just 2 pins because a piece of one of the pins became loose and was no longer tightly securing.

As treefrog mentioned, though, I think one of my main problems was not cleaning off the old gray goop and reapplying new stuff. However, getting a new mount to ensure it gets secured properly seems like it'd be a good idea, too.

With that all being said, still wondering if this kit would suit my purposes? Along with a new/backup heat sink, it appears to offer a screw mount and thermal grease as well.

Thanks again for all the input.
m
l
February 23, 2010 9:34:32 PM

Was the motherboard out of the case when you were making the attempt to install the HSF ? There shouldn't be any problem installing it this way.
You didn't mention that one of the pins broke.
treefrog mentioned cleaning the heatsink in anticipation of you reseating the HSF, not because you let the forum know that you hadn't cleaned the cpu to begin with.
Don't know if that kit would do you any good.
You're going for an upgraded cooler as well ?
This would be my choice, comes with a backplate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 24, 2010 12:01:49 AM

kg135: The Masscool kit you linked will work. I suggested the backplate because it was less expensive than the Masscool you asked about (plus, I have used it and it works well). The Masscool you asked about has a backplate, and should meet your needs if you are not over-clocking. As delluser1 said, there are better HSFs, but clearly, you are trying to keep your cost low.

delluser1: kg135 has a LGA775 board. His temps indicated a bad seating. Many of us new to building get 3 of the four HSF pins through the board, and maybe even locked. But the 4th pin's tips bend, one goes in the hole, the other bends outside the hole because we cannot see it and we cannot put even pressure on all the pins simultaneously. The broken pin will never seat and hold properly. Knowing that, and that OP said he only had two pins seated meant he would have to reseat the HSF, requiring cleaning the HS and CPU, and applying AS5.
m
l
February 24, 2010 12:23:02 AM

treefrog07 said:

delluser1: kg135 has a LGA775 board. His temps indicated a bad seating. Many of us new to building get 3 of the four HSF pins through the board, and maybe even locked. But the 4th pin's tips bend, one goes in the hole, the other bends outside the hole because we cannot see it and we cannot put even pressure on all the pins simultaneously. The broken pin will never seat and hold properly. Knowing that, and that OP said he only had two pins seated meant he would have to reseat the HSF, requiring cleaning the HS and CPU, and applying AS5.

Yup, I got all of that.
I've installed quite a few stock coolers, had a couple of them break, that wasn't mentioned in the OP, nor was the fact that kg135 didn't apply fresh paste when he attempted to install the HSF.
m
l
February 24, 2010 1:52:57 AM

Sorry if I was unclear on certain details, but I'm still pretty new to tinkering with computers. I was just using this as a little DIY side project, so yes, I was hoping to keep this little learning experience fairly cheap.

I'll be going with the Masscool kit and hopefully I'll be able to reseat the HSF properly this time and resolve the shutting off problem.

Thanks again for all the help! (treefrog in particular) :bounce: 
m
l
!