ed_shaw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hello,
If I buy a Mac Pro with Studio to move up from my MacBook Pro with FCP, am I wasting my money to buy the Raid Card (@$700) and 2 onboard drives (@ $100)= $900 or should I stick with my current SATA external Burleys from Mac Guru that work fine and have given me no trouble? I plug them in to the card port.

Solution
RAID cards are really expensive. I really never understood why. Yes, they are like a tiny computer within your computer managing your storage but, for the components, it seems as if they should be cheaper.

Many enterprise raid cards go way past $1k each, but a $700 wouldn't be terribly bad.

Only if you require raid should you get it. It might be cheaper if your just back up your files every night before you shut down onto a NAS or external drive...

ed_shaw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Enzo:

That you for those thoughts.

I like having the externals right there in a little box with a fan in it.

I was having trouble editing video and finding Final Cut Pro meets my needs quite well. Other than that, Mac hardware to me is kind of average. Still, the
FCP is reason enough to run the Leopard OSX or later.

As you know original HDTV files can be large. A 2.1Ghz that once looked
fast is looking at a 3.0 or higher, Intel dual or quad.

Thanks again for the comment.

:bounce:

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
RAID cards are really expensive. I really never understood why. Yes, they are like a tiny computer within your computer managing your storage but, for the components, it seems as if they should be cheaper.

Many enterprise raid cards go way past $1k each, but a $700 wouldn't be terribly bad.

Only if you require raid should you get it. It might be cheaper if your just back up your files every night before you shut down onto a NAS or external drive...

Solution

ed_shaw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I wish to thank each respondent for taking the time to provide and insight into my concern. I am working backwards from a $9500 G5 for video,
hoping to pare the price down to under seven. Staying with an E-Sata
external HD pack, eliminating RAID card and two internal drives knocks
off a good thousand. (I selected a best answer to mark the question resolved.)