Safe 3570K OC's?

ASow123

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Got a factory 3570k with a big ass Hyper 212+ sitting on top of it.
What are some safe overclocks for the 3570k? I'm looking to hit at least 4ghz, my case has about four fans in it and average temp is in the 31c's and I haven't tested it under load yet.

ASUS Extreme4 Z77
i5-3570k
8gb DDR3 Ripjaws
700w PSU
Sapphire Radeon 7850 (not in yet)

Solution
Undervolting is a GOOD thing if you can do it because it'll run cooler (always a good thing for Ivy CPU's). No harm in it at all, other than instability, but that's not actually damaging.

Overvolting causes MORE heat and slightly shortens the life of the CPU, increasing more the more voltage you use, but from what I've seen, that won't really be a problem anyway, since Ivy CPU's don't really like adding more voltage because they get too warm.

So, as I said, just try undervolting or see what you can do at stock voltage.

ASow123

Honorable
May 9, 2012

What's the price of undervolting/overvolting?

Undervolting is a GOOD thing if you can do it because it'll run cooler (always a good thing for Ivy CPU's). No harm in it at all, other than instability, but that's not actually damaging.

Overvolting causes MORE heat and slightly shortens the life of the CPU, increasing more the more voltage you use, but from what I've seen, that won't really be a problem anyway, since Ivy CPU's don't really like adding more voltage because they get too warm.

So, as I said, just try undervolting or see what you can do at stock voltage.

Solution

Klaud45

Honorable
May 2, 2012
How would you go about testing for stability?

I'm glad I found this thread because I'm about to purchase an -5-3570K with an ASRock z77 Extreme4 cooled under a 212 Evo. I have no plans overclocking it over 4.5 GHz.