Complete Nooby need help overclocking AMD Athlon II x4 620, 2.6GHz

dobosmoez

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hey guys,

first off I have basically zero knowledge of overclocking. I only know that 1. Overclocking increases the speed of the processer and 2. as you increase the speed your desktop heats up. Could someone please give me the adequet overclocking settings if they've done it before, and what I have to do/download??

My Desktop is:

I'm running an HP Pavilion (model p6302f) with Windows 7 Home Premium on a x64 bit system.

Monitor: HP 2009 Series Wide LCD Monitor

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200 < Soon to be Upgraded

PSU: 300W < Soon to be upgraded

RAM: 6GB

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.60GHz

nna2

Distinguished
your going to have to download AMD Overdrive... and you going to want to raise the CPU/NB link speed, and the Vcore... also, do you have an aftermarket cooler, because you run a high risk of overheating if you dont have one

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong but that CPU is locked, so you can't increase the multiplier. Also prebuilt systems like HP's Dell's etc often have very bad motherboards for overclocking.

In saying so, I had that CPU and got it to 3.0 ghz with stock voltage and stock cooling. But it made VERY little difference in gaming (like 1-2 FPS difference) . I can't remember the exact settings (and I'm not too sure if I did it the best way) But I underclocked my ram to 800mhz from 1066mhz, then slowly increased my FSB till I got a blue screen of death, then backed off. I didn't raise the voltage because I only had stock cooling.

What speed is your RAM?

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

its a hp oem board its highly unlikely you will be able to overclock it, oems disable the ability of overclocking through bios to avoid issue with customers stuffing up reliability and them having to potentially troubleshoot or fix it. you will have to by an aftermarket motherboard if you want to overclock it

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

old school cpus are only multiplier locked not fsb where as sandys and ivys dont like fsb overclocking and rely on multipliers

nna2

Distinguished

Phenom II non black edition cpu's rely on FSB overclocking, im running 15x267=4004MHz (or 4005 cant remember lol)

im pretty sure amd overdrive will work but i dont have an OEM system so i cant be sure