OCZ DDR3-1333 Platinum AMD Edition

adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I know that I posted about this topic few hours ago but I've been doing my research and I've found a model that fits my needs.

The memory I'm talking about is OCZ DDR3-1333 Platinum AMD Edition, 2x2Gb, CL7. I just want to know what do you think about them; they would cost 97€. Is it a good choice? Why?

I'm a little bit lost but, as they seem to be designed for AM3 platform (the one I'll use) I thought they were great.

Thanks,

adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

I'll use an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE and an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula. My inicial intentions are to slightly overclock the overall configuration.

The 1600 Mhz modules cost 153€ (56 more than the 1333 Mhz version); and, if I'd go for them, maybe the AMD Black Edition would be a better option (taking my configuration in consideration). What do you think?

I've got a 2x1GB. set of the same and they are currently running at DDRR3 1600 8-8-8-24 1T 1.8V along with another 2x1 set of crucial ballistix that I had and have not had any issues with them - Already had the crucial running at those timings and just added the 2GB. of OCZ and left them there (thought I was going to have to underclock my Crucial RAM for them to play together but the OCZs have been fine with the OC !)

adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Interesting... are you using them with an AM3 platform? I don't know what this AMD optimization exactly brings...

Yes it is on an Phenom II X3 720 system with a Gigabyte 790GX MOBO - And in actuality I think the only AMD optimization is the fact that the voltage is higher than 1.65V that some Intel MOBOs were having problems with sockets burning out with -- thus they shouldn't be used with intel based MOBOs so they started selling them as AMD optimized - LOL - but I already had the Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 8-8-8-24 1.9V modules (they were the cheapest when I was building this system) that they were no longer selling anywhere so when looking for a match came across the OCZ platinums with the low CAS latency at 1333MHz. rating at the 1.8V (which is the Voltage I was running the crucials at) on sale for $52 with a free DVD movie included and figured I'd see if they could work together even if I had to lower the speed of the Crucials a bit (since the speed doesn't really effect performance much at this point in time).

When I received the OCZ modules I just plugged them in and left the settings that I already had and they have been perfectly stable so haven't changed anything since then. ( I really think most of the RAM companies are just trying to milk a bit of profit from the same chips by rating them at different speeds and latencies with some voltage adjustments - so I just look for the best pricing first and then look at the latencies and rated speeds !)

EDIT - Almost forgot Newegg has a Shell Shocker deal today on the OCZ Obsidian DDR3-1600 CAS9 1.65V modules for $89 - $20MIR so $69 final cost which seems to be a good buy !!