Sign in with
Your question

Cheapest SSD, SATA vs SCSI and more

Last response: in Storage
November 19, 2011 3:45:41 PM

I ran a Windows Experience Index and found my hard drive to be the weakest link with a mere sore of 5.3. This coupled with a lengthy boot time led me to find a faster storage device. I have an 80GB Seagate Barracuda from an old PC as the primary partition, and a 1TB Seagate Barracuda as the secondary partition for games only. I would like to send my install and programs to a SSD, but would I notice a difference?

My motherboard supports SATA II. Do I need SATA III to benefit from SSD speeds and would SATA II bottleneck a SSD?

I've seen SCSI drives with 10000-15000RPM. Can someone explain what SCSI is (summarised, without just pasting the Wikipedia link), and how it's relevant to gaming. What I understand is that it's for portable storage devices or something similar. Would a SCSI drive with adapter be of benefit to me?

Which is faster? I'm assuming the SSD is, but are SSDs reliable? Is there anything in particular I should know about them, like which brands to look out for?

I bet this gets asked a lot but where can I get a cheap SSD? Anything above £60 is too much, and the space I need is between 16 and 64GB. 1GB per £1 sounds optimum, and I an reduce the number of files on my primary disk to make space, but these SSDs are notoriously expensive.

Thanks for the help.

More about : cheapest ssd sata scsi

a c 289 G Storage
November 20, 2011 3:18:07 PM

Fooey - I just wiped out my whole response. Let's try again.

Windows Experience Index for HDDs should be ignored, if not tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail.

SATA II will throttle SSDs, but an SSD on SATA II will blow away your HDD on SATA II.
EDIT: I just checked my own specs. I'm running an SSD on an SATA II port. The performance is still amazing.

SCSI is: Expensive. Slower than SATA II. Of no benefit to you. (summarised enough?)

The SSD is faster. SSD reliability is a question, because no-one has been running them for ten years. Do backups, and it will not matter.

Read Tom's latest "Best SSDs for the money" article for model suggestions. I'm not going to post a link; the last time I tried I blew away what I had typed to you.
November 20, 2011 3:36:13 PM

Thanks for that. I thought no-one would reply.
!