Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Converting profiles from local to domain....

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Domain
  • Windows XP
September 20, 2004 5:15:54 AM

I have a goodly number of XP Pro systems (as well as some 2000 Pro boxes for
that matter) residing in a basic, workgroup design at a client site. We're
in the process of converting locations to a domain design now.

One issue that is cropping up -- converting existing clients from their
local profiles to their domain profiles. We've tried using XP's built in
tool for copying profiles but so far it isn't performing very well --
there's always some catch somewhere that breaks the process and of course XP
doesn't work through it, he just stops dead in his tracks.

Short of manually copying user profiles over, is there any better way of
doing this? A third party app maybe?

Thanks in advanced....

James

More about : converting profiles local domain

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 11:29:22 PM

msnews.microsoft.com wrote:

> I have a goodly number of XP Pro systems (as well as some 2000 Pro boxes for
> that matter) residing in a basic, workgroup design at a client site. We're
> in the process of converting locations to a domain design now.
>
> One issue that is cropping up -- converting existing clients from their
> local profiles to their domain profiles. We've tried using XP's built in
> tool for copying profiles but so far it isn't performing very well --
> there's always some catch somewhere that breaks the process and of course XP
> doesn't work through it, he just stops dead in his tracks.
>
> Short of manually copying user profiles over, is there any better way of
> doing this? A third party app maybe?
>
> Thanks in advanced....
Hi

You can reuse the old profile with the "new" user by changing the new
user's ProfileImagePath in registry to point to the old profile.

You might have some permission issues though if the users aren't local
admins though.

More here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3EA57554.BF997CC0%...

and