What CPU can/should i get?

gronast

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I have an almost four year old computer, but i've upgraded almost all components, only things i havn't changed are mainboard and CPU. And now i'm starting to feel i should upgrade the CPU aswell.

I have:
- Windows XP Home SP2, 32 bit
- MSI Amethyst-M
- AMD Athlon 64 3200+
- 4GB RAM (I know i can only utilise 3.25GB)
- Radeon HD4870

I was thinking about getting AMD's Athlon 64 X2 5600+
Should I?
What is the difference between box and tray? And how can i know what will work with my mainboard?

Thanks
- Nils

Solution
No. At least not economically.

4 years is already good life spent for a computer. You might be trying to save some money by re-using your DDR1 RAM but by doing so, you buy the kind of CPU and motherboard that will extend the life of your PC by only a year or two at the most and pay a premium too because they are no longer mainstream.

There are cheap AM2+ or AM3 motherboards and 2GB of DDR2 or DDR3 RAM will cost just about $45. They will go with the X2 250 very nicely and you got a very good upgrade path that will extend the life of your PC for another 4 years.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00378480&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

Your motherboard is a 939 socket so it will only support 939 socket CPUs (up to the 4800+).

939 socket CPUs are no longer in production so you'll have to find one used.

The Athlon II X2 250 won't be compatible. :(

You are really bottlenecking that 4870 so if you can find a dual core (X2) or can afford an entire system rebuild, do so. :)

loneninja

Distinguished
Socket 939 are hard to find, used off ebay is one of your few options. Socket 939 went out of production at least 4 years ago at this point. As already mentioned, the X2 4800 is the best you can upgrade to, but don't get confused as AMD used the same processor names for AM2 Athlon X2 processors. You'll need to double check before buying that it's a 939 Athlon X2 and not an AM2.

Personally I'd just save for a new system, even todays $50 processors are much better than anything socket 939, but unfortuneatly you'll need a new motherboard and ram too.

gronast

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Sorry for the short outburst i'm leaving as replys ;)
I've done a bit of research and i think i'm getting the hang of things now...
If I were to get the MSI 915GM4-FI which supports DDR Ram and has an Intel Socket 775, I could also get the Core 2 Extreme X6800 for example?

thanks

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Looks like that motherboard supports only the 65nm core2duos. However better than what you have, they are no longer in production and will still be hard to find and likely expensive.

You'd be better off saving up and getting ddr2or3, mobo, cpu than buying another old motherboard/cpu.

I actually just found this, which might be something to look at. You'll be able to use 2 sticks of DDR1 or 2 sticks of DDR2. I would still look into ddr2 asap though if you go this route.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115

A good supported CPU for this mobo for the price would be the E5200 (it is out of stock atm). It will require a bios update on your mobo however.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

Here is a list of supported CPUs by this mobo.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDual-SATA2

randomkid

Distinguished
No. At least not economically.

4 years is already good life spent for a computer. You might be trying to save some money by re-using your DDR1 RAM but by doing so, you buy the kind of CPU and motherboard that will extend the life of your PC by only a year or two at the most and pay a premium too because they are no longer mainstream.

There are cheap AM2+ or AM3 motherboards and 2GB of DDR2 or DDR3 RAM will cost just about $45. They will go with the X2 250 very nicely and you got a very good upgrade path that will extend the life of your PC for another 4 years.

Solution

gronast

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Thank you, now i know :)
What should I get!? I need a new motherboard, a new BIOS maybe? and a new processor. Also new RAM.

Thanks