Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hi, Should I upgrade my CPU??

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2010 2:31:39 PM

Hi, I have a dual core amd athlon 64 x2 6000 3.2 ghz, is it worth it to upgrade to the x4 3.2 ghz? my x2 after I overclocked runs all the latest stuff perfectly fine, is the x4 overkill? :o 

More about : upgrade cpu

a b à CPUs
February 22, 2010 2:47:50 PM

If you're running perfectly fine then I'd save your money for a more meaningful upgrade in the future.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 22, 2010 4:27:00 PM

^^Agree. Why would you upgrade if you are happy with what you have?
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2010 10:12:49 PM

lol :p , I just would like to have the best for my system, and at the end of this month I have money to spare to buy something I want, But am debating weather I should upgrade processor or storage or perhaps something else Really Nice? :D  Is there anything I should Consider Upgrading before it becomes too outdated?

Manufacturer:
Gateway

Rom Drives:
Dual DVDRW/CDRW Combo Drives @ 24x Writing Speed

Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.23 GHz (Overclocked)

Memory:
Kingston 4.0 GB PC5300 DDR2RAM @ 700MHZ (Overclocked)

Hard Drive:
400 GB Western Digital SCSI / 600 GB Seagate External Free Agent Drive.
(Running out of Space! I Download lots of stuff! Games/Roms/Emus/Music/Vids/Pictures/Apps/Docs)

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1 GB @ 2850MHZ PCI-E Bus/ 1GHZ Core Clock/ 1.3GHZ Memory Clock (Overclocked)

Monitor:
LG Flatron L1920P 19'

Sound Card:
SB Audigy Pro

Speakers/Headphones:
Creative Sound Labs 2.1 Surround with 40 Watt RMS Subwoofer ( I love Bass and I want More!)

Keyboard:
USB Microsoft Keyboard Intelli Software

Mouse:
USB Microsoft Mouse IntelliPoint

Mouse Surface:
Regular Mousepad

Operating System: (Triple Boot Partitions)
Windows Vista™ Home Premium (x86) - 300GB
Windows 7™ Ultimate (x64) - 40GB
Windows XP™ Home Premium (x86) - 35GB

Networking Controller:
Nvidia Nforce Networking Controller

Motherboard:
Leadtek/Winfast/Nvidia MCP61 Revision North and South Bridge

PSU:
Warlock Blue LED 560 Watt Power Supply

Plug and Play Devices:
USB Game Controller, Digital Camera, Wireless Networking Adapter, External HD.

Computer Case:
E-Machines Model T5246
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 22, 2010 11:07:59 PM

you're already too outdated.

If your motherboard is socket AM2+ then you can drop in a new Athlon II or Phenom II and be OK (but probably have to get the lower power versions - I doubt your board can handle to top-end hot 125W versions).

If it's a socket AM2 board (like I suspect) then any processor upgrades will have negligible performance increase and thus is a waste of money tbh.

Download CPU-Z and see what it says about your motherboard - if it's AM2 then save your cash for a new system. You could get a AM2+ motherboard for a new Phenom II and reuse your RAM, but DDR2 is getting expensive as production winds down (not that you'd need more than 4GB anyway).

Seriously, if you're happy with what you have now, start saving for a whole new AM3/Phenom II/DDR3/Radeon 5000 series system in the future.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2010 11:38:09 PM

^+1
Just max out the life of your current rig and save for a totally new build then you can hand down that good rig to your kids or whomever...
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 23, 2010 12:41:48 AM

Agree. What is the amount of extra $$$ you have at the end of this month? If you save up instead and wait until 2011 you could build yourself a new Bulldozer system with DDR3 and a 5870.
m
l
February 23, 2010 1:21:37 AM

LePhuronn said:
you're already too outdated.

If your motherboard is socket AM2+ then you can drop in a new Athlon II or Phenom II and be OK (but probably have to get the lower power versions - I doubt your board can handle to top-end hot 125W versions).

If it's a socket AM2 board (like I suspect) then any processor upgrades will have negligible performance increase and thus is a waste of money tbh.

Download CPU-Z and see what it says about your motherboard - if it's AM2 then save your cash for a new system. You could get a AM2+ motherboard for a new Phenom II and reuse your RAM, but DDR2 is getting expensive as production winds down (not that you'd need more than 4GB anyway).

Seriously, if you're happy with what you have now, start saving for a whole new AM3/Phenom II/DDR3/Radeon 5000 series system in the future.

Thank you very much Enzo and LePhuronn! Now that you guys said that, That is definatly what I will do , seems like the best logical thing to do, since my board is AM2 Socket Etc, Dual Chanel DDR2 not DDR3, thanks very much for your input I Will be saving the 150$ at the end of this month and much more in the later moths, and wait until like 2011 to buy me a whole new Beastly comp!
m
l
March 5, 2010 12:09:43 AM

Best answer selected by sw33tsp0t.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2010 8:10:20 AM

Ty for the medal - happy to help.
m
l
!