PS/2 and USB keyboard will not initialze BIOS

After suffering from a power surge and losing a motherboard, I decided to get a MSI 785GTM-E45. Once I got my system connected back up and after doing a scan disk/restore point, everything appeared OK except my power indicator/HDD activity lights wouldn’t light up(tried reversing didn’t work). Then when I restarted the computer it would only close explorer and everything remained powered up endlessly. After manually hitting the reset switch, my USB keyboard wouldn’t get me into BIOS, so I dug out my PS/2 keyboard and tried but, no go. The ps/2 keyboard didn’t appear to have power at all except for initial connection when system was powered up already. Come to find out device manager wasn’t recognizing the PS/2 keyboard at all once logged into Windows 7. After talking to MSI support for about 15 minutes he said to replace the board because it sounded like a dead ps/2 port. I got my replacement last night and I am in the exact same scenario. I have tried 2 different known working ps/2 keyboards and usb keyboard with usb to ps/2 adapter. Could this be a very discrete problem dealing with something else in my system or bad luck with these boards? Other than that my system is very stable playing high-end games and what not.

Phenom X4 9750
Radeon HD 4890
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2 6400
WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM
10 answers Last reply
More about keyboard initialze bios
  1. I have the backplate on and the board is mounted to the standoffs securely. I plan to check if there is any backside grounding. If not could this be PSU related? I had checked the PSU with a tester and everything looked good but, I did get the initial damage through a storm. Could it be fluctuating? I
  2. If a storm knocked out your system, other damage is highly likely. What brand/model is your PSU?
    Did you reset the BIOS to defaults by moving the jumper and/or removing the battery?
  3. Yes, when I clear CMOS I get the "cmos checksum error" and then I have the option to configure or load defaults. Then of course I can't do that if my keyboard doesn't work LOL. So reset SW gets me back to defaults. I have also tried each individual stick of RAM. I had a few slightly bent pins on my CPU til I fixed them and now it sets just fine but, is it possible that one pin could be the culprit?
  4. 500 watt Antec Basiq
  5. Hmmm, that PSU isn't bad, but not great either. Because the storm may have damaged it, replacing it can't hurt anything.
    You've tried two different keyboards...I'm wondering if your +5V rail is ok.
  6. Right now my PC is stripped down to CPU, Ram, Board, display, brand new ps/2 keyboard, still no response from keyboard at POST. I think I will pick up a PSU tomorrow. I really can't think of any other possibilities.
  7. Look for one with full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands.
  8. So yesterday I picked up a Antec TruePower 650W and I still had the same exact problem. I pulled the board out again and started looking for any evidence of grounding and saw a standoff that had been left from a Full ATX board that I had in 2002. I took that out and everything started working. For the first time a blue LED lit up on my board, front panel lights now work, the pc will successfully do a full restart, and my PS2 keyboard works. Thats the first time I ever seen a pc boot while shorted out. The standoff looked like it was touching 2 or 3 pins in the vicinity of my sys-fan. I think it is interesting that it only caused problems to the most basic but, important things.
  9. Best answer selected by jcmoney111.
  10. jcmoney111 said:
    So yesterday I picked up a Antec TruePower 650W and I still had the same exact problem. I pulled the board out again and started looking for any evidence of grounding and saw a standoff that had been left from a Full ATX board that I had in 2002. I took that out and everything started working. For the first time a blue LED lit up on my board, front panel lights now work, the pc will successfully do a full restart, and my PS2 keyboard works. Thats the first time I ever seen a pc boot while shorted out. The standoff looked like it was touching 2 or 3 pins in the vicinity of my sys-fan. I think it is interesting that it only caused problems to the most basic but, important things.

Thank you very much for this post and I hope it will help me. I have exact same problem that you had - tried 6 different keyboards (3 PS2 & 3 USB) with no luck. I even went to the store with basic components (CPU, Memory & Case with Power Supply) and they tested for an hour with no luck. So they gave me a replacement of a brand new board on the shelf. I brought it home, installed and the same thing happened again. I upgraded an old board with this one and I begin to suspect there was some problem with my PSU althought it was working fine prior to the upgrade. Your explanation about the standoff makes a lot of sense as I was wondering how can two MBs have exact same problem and MSI quality control even missed this basic feature - getting into bios. If this works, it will save me a trip back to the store to exchange for another one
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar PS/2 Keyboards Motherboards