Closed Solved

Would you buy open box?

Hi everyone, im looking at two boards from newegg that are both open box and carry impressive price reductions.

MSI p55-g80 (not sure if I really need this but it is 129 open box)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130238R

Msi p55-g65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130239R&cm_re=msi_p55-_-13-130-239R-_-Product

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I accept combo deals and would like to spend no more than 130 on a board after rebates unless it is really good?

So would it be worth it to buy an open box motherboard?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about would open
  1. will it come with all cables, anyone have experience with open bix motherboards from newegg?
  2. I have a friend who has bought two open box motherboards from newegg and both came with everything and installed and worked fine. They're still running.

I think newegg has a money-back policy on open box purchases so at least you have some recourse. To save some money you're taking a chance. You have to determine if it's worth it.
  3. I talked to newegg and they said they cant guarantee that it will come with everything and there is no way for them to check that so i was a little scared. It does have a 30 day money back guarantee.
  4. daniel123244 said:
    I talked to newegg and they said they cant guarantee that it will come with everything and there is no way for them to check that so i was a little scared. It does have a 30 day money back guarantee.

YEs but that does not include returning it due to it missing accessories (cables, backplate, manual etc.) and buying replacements for these can get expensive. - if you try to return it for those missing they charge a restocking fee and you have to pay the shipping - which then makes buying a regular MOBO even more expensive. So you have to decide whether it is worth it to try (less of a chance of dissapointment if you already have extra cables\etc. laying around) or not.
  5. JDFan said:
    YEs but that does not include returning it due to it missing accessories (cables, backplate, manual etc.) and buying replacements for these can get expensive. - if you try to return it for those missing they charge a restocking fee and you have to pay the shipping - which then makes buying a regular MOBO even more expensive. So you have to decide whether it is worth it to try (less of a chance of dissapointment if you already have extra cables\etc. laying around) or not.

this is my first build i have nothing lol
    I think i will go with the p55-g65 over the -g80 as i dont think i will xfire and i am going to buy the new one. If anyone had any other motherboards they would recommend i would gladly take recommendations. Also, i decided to go with core i5 750 over phenom 2 x4 955, is this a good choice?
  6. I will not buy an open box. The minimal savings are not worth it.
  7. I once did, and the box didn't include everything a retail box would have.
    It worked fine though.

Would I do it again? Probably not unless the savings were substantial.
  8. Best answer
    Motherboards are probably the one thing I wouldn't buy open box. The cables I don't really care about, since those are easy to come by. But they NEVER seem to come with a backplate, and since those aren't interchangeable, you end up trying to find one on ebay. Inevitably, it costs $15 or $20, so most of your savings are gone right there. I imagine there are probably people who deliberately loot the backplates before they return the board, so that they can sell them on ebay to make up for the shipping/restocking fee.

Plus ... sometimes when things get returned, they aren't treated perfectly, and motherboards are probably THE component that's most susceptible to little microdamage from that. I've had a couple show up just plain not working right, and that gets old real fast. Combine that with the missing backplates, and I won't buy them anymore.
  9. Best answer selected by daniel123244.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product MSI-Microstar