Would you buy open box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel123244

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Hi everyone, im looking at two boards from newegg that are both open box and carry impressive price reductions.

MSI p55-g80 (not sure if I really need this but it is 129 open box)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130238R

Msi p55-g65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130239R&cm_re=msi_p55-_-13-130-239R-_-Product

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I accept combo deals and would like to spend no more than 130 on a board after rebates unless it is really good?

So would it be worth it to buy an open box motherboard?

Solution
Motherboards are probably the one thing I wouldn't buy open box. The cables I don't really care about, since those are easy to come by. But they NEVER seem to come with a backplate, and since those aren't interchangeable, you end up trying to find one on ebay. Inevitably, it costs $15 or $20, so most of your savings are gone right there. I imagine there are probably people who deliberately loot the backplates before they return the board, so that they can sell them on ebay to make up for the shipping/restocking fee.

Plus ... sometimes when things get returned, they aren't treated perfectly, and motherboards are probably THE component that's most susceptible to little microdamage from that. I've had a couple show up just plain not...

Phog

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I have a friend who has bought two open box motherboards from newegg and both came with everything and installed and worked fine. They're still running.

I think newegg has a money-back policy on open box purchases so at least you have some recourse. To save some money you're taking a chance. You have to determine if it's worth it.

daniel123244

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I talked to newegg and they said they cant guarantee that it will come with everything and there is no way for them to check that so i was a little scared. It does have a 30 day money back guarantee.

YEs but that does not include returning it due to it missing accessories (cables, backplate, manual etc.) and buying replacements for these can get expensive. - if you try to return it for those missing they charge a restocking fee and you have to pay the shipping - which then makes buying a regular MOBO even more expensive. So you have to decide whether it is worth it to try (less of a chance of dissapointment if you already have extra cables\etc. laying around) or not.

daniel123244

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

this is my first build i have nothing lol
I think i will go with the p55-g65 over the -g80 as i dont think i will xfire and i am going to buy the new one. If anyone had any other motherboards they would recommend i would gladly take recommendations. Also, i decided to go with core i5 750 over phenom 2 x4 955, is this a good choice?

Motherboards are probably the one thing I wouldn't buy open box. The cables I don't really care about, since those are easy to come by. But they NEVER seem to come with a backplate, and since those aren't interchangeable, you end up trying to find one on ebay. Inevitably, it costs $15 or $20, so most of your savings are gone right there. I imagine there are probably people who deliberately loot the backplates before they return the board, so that they can sell them on ebay to make up for the shipping/restocking fee.

Plus ... sometimes when things get returned, they aren't treated perfectly, and motherboards are probably THE component that's most susceptible to little microdamage from that. I've had a couple show up just plain not working right, and that gets old real fast. Combine that with the missing backplates, and I won't buy them anymore.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.