Cant install new os

mike5221987

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I got a trojan on my computer, when i got ride of it my computer became realy unstable i lived with it for a while but it got worse i tried to find an other virus but no luck so i was going to scrub my HD and install a fresh windows but it has gotten so bad that when i go to boot it locks up i cant even get to the point of booting from the cdrom can anyone give me any help on what i could do

mike5221987

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
im using vista 64 and on the c drive is my windows and on the d drive are all my family pics and movies and some games. the only thing is i can get this comp to boot so i was going to take out my c drive and format it using another comp the reinstall windows

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
If the harddrives are ide's(wide flat cables with 20 pins) the jumpers on the back will say master,slave, or cable select. If cable select, the first plug(black) is the master,c, grey is the slave. SATA drives, I am not sure, but if the jumpers on the back of the drive are set to cable select i think sata1 is C drive.

jhurst747

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
For future reference, I always notate which drive my OS is installed on. If you look at the drives in your BIOS, you can see that they have unique identifiers. I also make a note on the HDD itself with a sharpie. Redundant? Yes, but I'd rather be safe that sorry. I've been in your shoes one too many times. That might help you in your future troubleshooting though. Best of luck to you! :)