A blu ray drive that isn't

directedition

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
A while back, I had a HTPC with a LITE-ON iHES106-29 blu-ray drive in it. It worked just fine. After a while, I cannibalized it for other builds and the drive sat on my shelf for six months. Now I've built a new system, and it doesn't seem to work properly.

It can read CDs and DVDs just fine, but when I insert a bluray disc, the entry for the drive turns to "CD Drive" in explorer with no files on it. This happens with all the discs I tested (which it played fine months ago).

When I run Roxio's InfoTool, it properly detects everything, even gets the vitals on the disc inside (proper read of the size, number of layers, etc etc), but I can't access the data on it.

Everything is up to date. XP, BIOS, chipset drivers, UDF driver, etc etc. What could possibly be the culprit here?

Thanks!

directedition

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I went ahead and let the CyberLink disc install all of its crap (not just PowerDVD, which is what I installed from it before) and now it works. Of course I also have a half dozen extra pieces of crap in my system tray, but at least I know the drive is good.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
So you have to have a decoder for blu-ray and for dvd (on xp). You could try and disable the programs one and a time and see which one breaks blu-ray support and then just disable all the rest.