Need help fast, Q6600 overclock on 2 cores

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys.

Need an answer fairly quick.

If i goto my bios and disable two cores on my Core 2 quad q6600 will that drop temps down?? And how much? My cpu is currently overclocked to 2.8GHz with all four cores enabled. My idle temp in bios is around 30-32c. If i disable two cores and overclock to 3.2 or 3.4GHz will the temps stay under 35c idle? I have a thermalright ultra 120 passive heatsink so i cant overclock to high. And if i disable two cores and overclock will i see a performance increase or will it be slower?

I play Deus Ex human revolution and COD4 modern warfare
Please help

Disabling cores will certainly lower temps, though I'm not sure why your concerned with keeping your idle temps below 35C, load temps are what really matter.

If the games you play use more than 2 cores I expect you'll see a performance decrease even if you overclock the 2 remaining cores, Have you tried overclocking with all 4 cores enabled?

Also why do you not have a fan attached to your TRUE?

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

What would you consider an acceptable high temp for my CPU? Im not sure what TRUE means however i have slapped on an old pentium 4 fan to my passive heatsink. I have overclocked to 3.2GHz with all 4 cores enabled however i was'nt sure about the temps as i did'nt really know about that untill i was searching for overclocking tips and came across the idea of monitoring temps. Its currently at 2.8GHz with all 4 cores enabled. The default clock was 2.4GHz