Sign in with
Your question

Stuck on "starting windows" after it was working FINE!

Last response: in Windows 7
December 19, 2009 8:02:54 PM

Hey this is probably my first time ever creating a thread on troubleshooting something about my PC.okay lets startoff that in the very beginning i had XP and decided to upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate x64. It worked out awesome no problems. Last night i was playing a game and i fell asleep on my bed. i woke up in the middle of the night and shut it down with the power button method. This morning i wokeup and i couldnt get into windows, it just wouldnt boot up. I tried doing the repair, restore, nothing worked. I was just stuck on "Starting windows" screen, it was really random. I tried reformatting with windows 7 thinking it would fix the "starting windows" problem but it just kept getting stuck after the fresh install of windows 7. I've wasted 7 hours of my day just frustrated/pissed trying to see wat can possibly be causing this problem. The thing is i went back to installing XP and it works fine. Which is wat im operating under now. I even tried installing XP and then reformatting with windows 7, and nothing..same exact problem getting stuck on the loading screen after the format was done. Could it be BIOS? I cant think of anything else. Especially when windows XP is working, its not like one of my hardware devices are defected. Its just weird because just last night windows 7 was working fine. I dont know wat couldve went wrong just from the time i shut it down to the next morning when i wokeup and i couldnt get past my loading screen. And about my computer knowledge ide say im not total newbie..but im pretty mediocre at common sense troubleshooting problems i usually encounter..i just dont see wat else to do after a fresh clean install of an OS usually that solves most problems. I have a EVGA 790i mb, 2gb ocz sli ram, 1tb Western D HD, 9800gx2. All the help is appreciated, Thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2009 8:12:07 PM

Did you set your BIOS "HPET Support" to 64bits?
m
l
December 19, 2009 8:14:38 PM

i actually never bumped into that option in the BIOS out of the top of my head..meaning i never tried it. I could give it a shot. Do you know where it would fall under in BIOS setting? Do i definitely have that option?
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2009 8:19:57 PM

Gandalf said:
Did you set your BIOS "HPET Support" to 64bits?

i just found it in my BIOS but it doesnt have an option to switch between 64 and 32. Just enabled/disabled. And currently it is enabled. as i said..i had my BIOS default settings loaded back then when i had windows 7 working and it was never a problem..its pretty weird.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 19, 2009 8:40:01 PM

1. Shutting down Windows by powering off the computer is not the best method.
Recommend you always shut down Windows via the Start button first, then after Windows is closed then power off your computer.

2. The only other idea I have for you is to shut down Windows, then power off the computer. Disconnect the AC power cord for at least 15 minutes. Longer is better. This will give all the capacitors time to drain their stored power. After the 15 minutes, reconnect the AC cord and try to boot up again.

Good luck...
m
l
December 19, 2009 8:43:58 PM

Gandalf said:
1. Shutting down Windows by powering off the computer is not the best method.
Recommend you always shut down Windows via the Start button first, then after Windows is closed then power off your computer.

2. The only other idea I have for you is to shut down Windows, then power off the computer. Disconnect the AC power cord for at least 15 minutes. Longer is better. This will give all the capacitors time to drain their stored power. After the 15 minutes, reconnect the AC cord and try to boot up again.

Good luck...

Well as i mentioned in my post..i installed XP instead and it works..only windows 7 is having this problem..so now im gonna have to reinstall windows 7 and see what happens, until then im trying to gather up as many ideas for a fix as possible. Thank you
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
December 19, 2009 11:59:11 PM

Check for any BIOS updates for your motherboard. The manufacturer may have written in an option to distinguish between 32 and 64 bit HPET support, instead of simply turning it on or off.
m
l
December 20, 2009 12:21:21 AM

I had a look at your motherboard,it does support win7 and 64 bit. if you have a 2nd pc get win7 back on the computer.and find support on the other one.
have you installed chipset drivers?you said you are running SLI,what about installing a single card,drivers and then add the second card?it sounds like a driver problem.Windows loads up,and at the moment it's loading that specific driver,the computer hangs.
m
l
!