The right cpu for me?

fcard79

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
O.K. this is the deal, I'm attempting to build my first computer in about ten years. I've done a great deal of investigating and keeping changing my mind on what processor to get. I am a gamer through and through but don't have an unlimited budget. I want to be able to upgrade in the future. Should I go with the i7 or with the phenom II 965 so I can afford a better gpu? Help me decide because i've changed my mind enough times to make my head spin!! thanks for the help!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the month BUDGET RANGE: <1,400

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not sure this is my issue

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, like I said first build in ten years want to take it slow.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

tecmo34

Administrator
Or you can go with the i5 750 to get the best of both worlds!! :bounce: You get the more powerful CPU and have enough money to get a better GPU... :lol:

I agree with EXT64... using the "How to Ask for Build Advice" sticky will provide you better assistance.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I played around with a couple configurations on a "build your own" site. Let me know if you want me to forward a link to your email.

AMD system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition
HSF: CoolerMaster V8
RAM: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Gaming Series
HDD: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s
Optical: 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive [Lightscribe Technology]
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB
PSU: 650 Watt -- Corsair
Case: Thermaltake V9 Gaming Tower Case-Red

Total: $1,255

Intel system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 860
HSF: Thermaltake SpinQ CPU
RAM: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Gaming Series
HDD: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s
Optical: 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive [Lightscribe Technology]
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB
PSU: 650 Watt -- Corsair
Case: Thermaltake V9 Gaming Tower Case-Red

Total: $1,340

With a budget of $1,400, you can build an awesome i7 system. Definitely go that route. You'll have a lot more options to keep it top-of-the-line in the future.

edit: saw the specs you posted, and would agree that going to a 58xx series video card is the right call for a CPU that powerful.

Also, if it's for gaming, I do not know whether you want a 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive as your main/only HDD. I'm not an expert on hard drive configurations, but my understanding is that the bigger a hard drive gets, the longer loading times you'll experience. So for a gaming machine, a lot of people will use a smaller drive for their programs and OS, and if they need a big drive for storing video/pics/data, they hook that up as a secondary drive.

For a little more money, you may even be able to get to a WD Velociraptor, which is 10,000 RPM, but that may be overkill. Maybe someone with more experience in HDD specs can shed some light on just how important this issue is.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Keep in mind that he can change the configuration if he wants. The site I used does let you choose stuff like "single, double in RAID0, double in RAID1" and such for HDD's and for video you can choose single or double. But choosing such options would push it over the $1,400 budget he has.

I went back to the site to see how much more the 5850 would be over the 5770. He would have to add $122 to upgrade the card. I personally with how easy it is to upgrade video cards go with the 5770 now and then later on upgrade to a card that is not even out yet. Say a 59xx or 60xx type card.

The 300 GB WD Velociraptor would be an extra $156 to get 700GB less capacity. So then you would want to have a 2nd HDD of at least 750GB to add on top of the $156 that he would already be spending on the Velociraptor for at least $75 more or $99 for 1TB.

Many games now a days take up 10GB or more in HDD space so you would put only be able to put the OS and critical programs on a Velociraptor.

Also of note for fcar79, you may want to wait a few months before you get your computer. Use a cheep used computer in the mean time but company's are already starting to advertise their USB 3.0 expansion cards and Gigabyte's UD6P line of motherboards already has a kind of "pre-USB 3.0" and "pre-SATA 3" on them (you have to turn PCIeX16 to PCIeX8 to get them to work from what I read) so holding off a bit more could net you a computer with such tech's built into them. USB 3.0 is rated at 4.8 Gbps and SATA 3 is 6Gbps.

I was just reading some of the pages at www.everythingusb.com on USB 3.0 and it was talking about Asus, Gigabyte, and Dane-elec all starting to ship USB 3.0 stuff this month.

For more info on SATA 3:
http://www.sata-io.org/technology/6Gbdetails.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_6_Gbit.2Fs_.28Third_generation.29

A YouTube video at Gigabyte HQ showing speed test between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0

Also for a monitor, NewEgg has a very good Asus one on sale until 12/16. It has a dynamic contrast of 10,000,000 :1 and a response time of 2ms. $190 and free shipping. Just be sure to read the reviews as it looks like ATI cards have a setting you need to tweek to prevent the problem the guy who gave it the 3 egg score had. Click here for link

Edit: Oh ya, almost forgot. On the Intel system (don't know why not the AMD) the site I was at offered to factory overclock the design. 10% for $19, 20% for $49, and 30% for $99. Also when I read a review on the Thermaltake SpinQ at OCC it did good in the stock tests but lost ground in the overclocked tests. I would personally suggest adding the rig to you cart and then calling or emailing the site to ask them to switch it to the Cooler Master V8.