Which laptop is faster/better configuration?

Experts, Which is a better configuration anyone?

Thanks.

1. Dell e6400 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 processor (2.66 GHz), 250GB, 7200 rpm HDD, 8X DVD+RW, WXGA+ LED,

2. Lenovo T400 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 processor (2.53 GHz), 320GB, 7200 rpm HDD, 8X DVD+RW, WXGA+ ccfl.

I should add, need it to run business software, database applications like Oracle, Solaris, business applications, vmware

I have no choice, I have to choose between the above 2 configurations(yes they are at least 1-2 years old I think).
17 answers Last reply
More about which laptop faster better configuration
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

    What do you want do with the laptop? Games, video edition, surf the web...
  2. If u are so keen on getting a a cpu with 2 cores get a dell with an i3
  3. saint19 said:
    Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

    What do you want do with the laptop? Games, video edition, surf the web...



    I should add, need it to run business software, database applications like Oracle, Solaris, business applications, vmware


    I have no choice, I have to choose between the above 2 configurations(yes they are at least 1-2 years old I think).
  4. Go for the second one.....
  5. Yeah, get the 2nd one. Lenovo is always better that dell in laptops.
  6. That 250 gb will choke ur system, 320 Gb will give you a tough time. In these days i would suggest nothing less than a 500Gb for the internal hard disk. Put in some thoughts for a good external hard disk
  7. The first will probably be a bit faster, but for reliability and build quality, I'd go lenovo every time.
  8. shravankale said:
    That 250 gb will choke ur system, 320 Gb will give you a tough time. In these days i would suggest nothing less than a 500Gb for the internal hard disk. Put in some thoughts for a good external hard disk

    Not everybody needs a ton of storage space.
  9. cjl said:
    Not everybody needs a ton of storage space.


    He'll come to know when he'll fall short of space in some months
  10. ^If he work with Solaris, trust me, at least he has a SAN or NAS with enough space.
  11. If he is going to do only " run business software, database applications like Oracle, Solaris, business applications, vmware" then that may suffice him n i hope so, but he might want to do something else unless he has a another notebook
  12. shravankale said:
    He'll come to know when he'll fall short of space in some months

    Not necessarily. I know people who would struggle to fill 120GB.

    I'm not one of them admittedly - I have 3.6TB internal on my desktop, and it's fairly full, but just because you use a lot of space doesn't mean that everyone does.
  13. cjl said:
    Not necessarily. I know people who would struggle to fill 120GB.

    I'm not one of them admittedly - I have 3.6TB internal on my desktop, and it's fairly full, but just because you use a lot of space doesn't mean that everyone does.


    well, said. I have on my computer a HDD 160GB thats been partition in 1/2. i've only filled 80% of 1 of the partition. the second one has been hardly touched.
  14. It's a matter of personal choice if i know i wont use more than 200gb whts the harm in having some extra GB's coz "U MAY need it" and that guy has no choice other than those 2 notebooks so it's better if he has 320Gb space rather than 250Gb space.
  15. Quote:
    Get the fastest processor you can and don't worry about the hard drive. You can always replace it with a WD Black or SSD


    Agreed on the hard drive part
  16. Thanks to all that have replied...more concerned about speed(both have 3 year warranties):

    Will the DDR3 really help if the processor is 2.53 GHz vs the DDR2 RAM for the laptop with the 2.66 GHz

    Will the 0.13 GHz faster laptop make a significant difference if both laptops are upgrade to 8 gigs of RAM?

    I'm assuming between Core Duo -- this means #1 is 0.13 + 0.13 faster = 0.26 GHz faster?

    Thanks.
  17. shravankale said:
    It's a matter of personal choice if i know i wont use more than 200gb whts the harm in having some extra GB's coz "U MAY need it" and that guy has no choice other than those 2 notebooks so it's better if he has 320Gb space rather than 250Gb space.

    The harm is in the fact that you are paying money for something you don't need, and get no benefit from.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Configuration