Sign in with
Your question
Solved

NO display after installing upgrading RAM

Last response: in Memory
June 29, 2010 9:33:19 PM

I recently bought a new motherboard:

Biostar MCP6PB M2+

I also bought a new Seagate Barracuda 500gb sata hard drive for it, I had an ATI HD4670 from Sapphire and an AMD X2 6000+ processor I had 4 sticks of RAM (512,512,1gb,1gb) but the new board only had 2 dimms so I chose to use the 2 1gb sticks.

My cousins computer though had a 2gb stick of RAM and he didn't use his comp much so I asked him if I could get the 2gb stick to total my RAM to 3GB and he would get his 2 gb RAM back with a 1gb and 2 512mb sticks of RAM.

I switched a stick of RAM for the 2 gig stick and turned on my computer and to my surprise there was no display. (I am going to rule out the possibility of failure from other pc components now)

I tried to use on-board graphics, and that didn't work, I turned it on again for a while to feel if the processor was on and the heatsink got warm so I know that my processor works, I doubt it would be the hard drive because it hadn't fallen and it turns out.

Now I switched back to the original 2 1gb sticks and the still didn't work, I tried them one by one, and placed the 2gb stick by itself, I also used the 2 512mb sticks and it still didn't works. I reset my cmos countless times (well maybe 5 times :D ) and still nothing.

Thank you for reading all of this and thanks for your answers in advance.

Best solution

a b } Memory
June 29, 2010 9:46:41 PM

If you haven't already done so, check out the troubleshooting guide/checklist that was made specifically for no boot/no display issues. Click on the link in my signature.

As you go through the list, take notes of observations, changes, etc. Even if you don't think the item in the checklist is relevant, try it anyway (unless physical limitations of the hardware prevent you).

When you've gone through the entire list, but you haven't gotten a display, check out the breadboarding guide (there is a link to it in the troubleshooting thread).

If after all that, you still don't get anywhere, repost with the results/observations from the troubleshooting guide.

Good luck.
a c 128 } Memory
June 29, 2010 9:48:46 PM

Did you read your motherboard manual before making the ram switch? If you want to reset the bios, remove the motherboard battery for one minute with the system off, and reinstall the battery. The cmos jumper on that board rarely works to reset the bios. Next time use the same ram for both slots. It's much safer.
Related resources
June 30, 2010 1:41:02 AM

First @ o 1die I've read the mobo manual a lot of times, I've cleared the cmos using the jumper and have gotten in the bios.

This is the stupid thing on my part I turned off the computer, plugged it out added the 2 gig stick and tried again and now I'm right back to square one I've removed the battery and reinstalled it, nothing, reset the cmos jumper a number of times, tried with a 1 gig stick, 2-1gig sticks, (I am not gonna try the 2 gig stick, I'm gonna stick with 2-1 gig sticks until I get my quad core pc setup)

@T_T

I've followed all of those and you will see I answered some of the steps already but I especially used the 1 stick and removed the battery, I'm not sure of what to do now.

If I could try to do the same thing I did to get the result of resetting the bios.
a b } Memory
June 30, 2010 1:57:25 AM

If you really have performed the steps in the troubleshooting guide and the breadboarding guide (to rule out shorts), then unfortunately, you could have a dead mobo.

But because of you being able to display the BIOS, that seriously suggests a short, RAM, or DIMM/mobo issue. I'd lean more toward the DIMM problem though, since you've seem to have done extensive arranging of your RAM modules.

June 30, 2010 7:36:13 PM

Best answer selected by Komomu.
June 30, 2010 7:37:37 PM

Guys I figured it out, I needed to switch some more jumpers and it worked and by the way.

That guide is excellent because it is thorough and it explains everything so even a newb can understand it (me) :D 
!