A good cooler for AMD Phenom II X4 955 !!

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hey guys !! I have been looking for a good cpu cooler to keep my AMD phenom II x4 955 under 35 celcius at idle. Since i live in India temperatures are aroun 30-35 celcius. I have thought of thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme...ANY other in same price range ??? I am gonna OVERCLOCK

Solution
With all the things you have said, I still think your best bet is either to get a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, or spend some more cash (quite a bit more) and go for a true water-cooled setup. Out of the brands you have access to, you won't get much of a better air cooler than the TRUE, and if you get a powerful/quiet aftermarket fan to put on it, you'll get pretty much the best Air cooled performance you can get.
<edit> The Tuniq Tower is ok as well, but the Thermalright will be at least as good and I imagine the price won't be too much different.
Realize that you can never have the CPU idle at or below the temperature of the outside air, as its a heat source it will always be atleast slightly warmer than the surroundings. The stock heatsink on my 955 keeps it at about 7C above ambient at idle, which would put you at 37-42C, if you want better than that you are going to need a pretty good heatsink. A TRUE would keep you fairly low at load, mid 50's probably, but im not sure how it would do at idle as most people dont really care about that temp. It MIGHT have a delta T under 5 at idle like you are looking for but why are you concerned about idle temperatures?

A coolermaster Hyper 212 will also give you similar performance but is quite a bit cheaper than the TRUE so if you are on a budget that is one to consider.

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

Yes, idle temps are between 39-45 degree celcius. if it's worth it i can always pump in extra cash, i just want to make sure that i don't pump in extra bucks and get something crappy. As i have mentioned earlier my brand choices are limited to cooler master, thermalright, tunique, zalman and corsair. Thanks for the heads up :D

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
If you want the best of the best, check out the cooler reviews at SPCR:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

SPCR ranks their heat sinks according to what provides the lowest temperatures with the lowest fan speeds for those requiring silent cooling setups. If you don't care about silence, then cranking up the fan speeds and installing a typhoon will only make the cooling even better.

The Ultra 120 extreme is one of the best. In the same class are the Noctua NH-U12P, and Xigmatek HDT-S1283. Prolima Megahalems is ranked as the best, but comes with no fan and is the most expensive heat sink you'll find on the market below water cooling.

Good luck!

I'm very concerned about the noise level, AMD's stock heat sink sucks to the core and it's noise makes me wanna kill myself.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
With all the things you have said, I still think your best bet is either to get a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, or spend some more cash (quite a bit more) and go for a true water-cooled setup. Out of the brands you have access to, you won't get much of a better air cooler than the TRUE, and if you get a powerful/quiet aftermarket fan to put on it, you'll get pretty much the best Air cooled performance you can get.
<edit> The Tuniq Tower is ok as well, but the Thermalright will be at least as good and I imagine the price won't be too much different.

Solution

shravankale

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
By TRUE do u mean..... Thermalright Cogage TRUE Spirit CPU or TRUE Black 120 rev.c

EDIT: I got it u guys are talking about TRUE Black 120 Rev.c......btw cost difference between them is hardly anything, so yes i can get my hands on that.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

that's what i use on my 955 and it does a fantastic job. i never imagined it would keep temps in check as well as it does.