Water cooling

mikebik

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
i have a amd 3870k fm1 socket and want to overclock it and decided to get into water cooling because of the looks and it keeps it cooler than a fan i hear. i would also want to use a water cool on my vga it is a sapphire 6850 1 gb. i'm a complete noob at what kind of kit that would be good i have a small budget around $200. thank you

Solution
Not sure I would consider the the Rasa 450 RX120, but I suppose if you were going the route of CPU-only, that's a really cheap way to go. Pretty poor pump- even weaker than the X20 used in the 750 kits.

For a small bump in cost, you should really look at one of the better XSPC kits starting around $130 or so...otherwise, maybe sticking to an air cooler is the best choice for you, as I really can't recommend anything less than a Rasa RS240 kit, which would be the lowest rung of the XSPC kits (and lowest cost) that I can say would be a decent buy.
I'm on the phone at work but as soon as I saw your link said thermaltake I cancelled :)
Thermaltake watercooling kits are awful, please avoid them like the plague
I can draw up a custom loop once I get home in the morning but I can't tab browse on the mobile to paste links sorry
Moto

mikebik

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

LMAO... i see good reviews but i will trust you because you have more experience at this and thank you for helping me!

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
It's certainly possible to mod it, but definitely not advised. The system is designed to be close loop, so there isn't really a way of getting in without making a mess. The pump also may not be designed to handle more than the current load. Also, you would have to add another radiator in to handle the thermal requirements of both CPU and GPU.

Motopsychojdn suggested looking at the Watercooling sticky. I concur +1

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not sure I would consider the the Rasa 450 RX120, but I suppose if you were going the route of CPU-only, that's a really cheap way to go. Pretty poor pump- even weaker than the X20 used in the 750 kits.

For a small bump in cost, you should really look at one of the better XSPC kits starting around $130 or so...otherwise, maybe sticking to an air cooler is the best choice for you, as I really can't recommend anything less than a Rasa RS240 kit, which would be the lowest rung of the XSPC kits (and lowest cost) that I can say would be a decent buy.

Solution
I'd agree with rubix, the X20 750L pumps are fine but the 450 is underpowered for anything more than a single block loop
if you cheap out on W/c you will be underwhelmed and wonder why you bothered, but with good investment you will have a fine loop capable of expansion further down the line,
240 rad minimum to start with and if you go Xspc on the pump then the X20 750L is the pump you want
or consider this with a 240 rad,
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=34384
Moto

mikebik

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
i have ordered the XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 for $169 it is the only one available i hope i can oc the cpu a bit i'm currently at 28c at max load on the stock settings and stock fan