New motherboard but now video signal

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
so i got a GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H motherboard from craigslist today and i installed it in my VPR matrix desktop. i took out my old mobo and put this one in and everything turns on but on my monitor it displays "check cable" (im using the onboard video card via VGA). I didnt install any drivers or anything because i dont have the cd's. could this be the issue? but how would i install video drivers if i cant see whats on the screen. NOTE- i put ASUS as the sub-category because i could not find GIGABYTE sorry

Thanks,
Matt

You should still be able to see characters without the special drivers.

The first thing that you need to do is go online and download a copy of the manual and drivers.

The next thing to do is to clear the BIOS. The manual will tell you how. You need to clear the BIOS because you have no idea what settings the original owner used. If the original owner had a separate video card and programmed the BIOS for it, that could be your problem.

Motherboards with onboard video ship with the onboard video enabled. Most of them can automatically detect the presence of a video card and automatically switch to it so there's no need to change the video settings in the BIOS. If the previous owner did, the CPU may be trying to send the video to a nonexistent video card.

Next, are you POSTing? Do you have a case speaker installed so you can hear the beeps? If not, here's one source of a case (system) speaker:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

If you do have a case speaker and you are not POSTing, now it is time for the "can't boot" sticky.