Installed windows 7 cant find audio driver

DanB91

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have a Soyo P41865PE and I just installed windows 7 on it. Problem is, I can't find the driver CD and Soyo is out of business so their website doesn't exist anymore. I used EVEREST to find that I have a
Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3] PCI

I have been searching for at least 2 hours and can't find anything. I have installed numerous drivers and nothing works.

Please help. Thank you very much

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Its not going to be an Intel product per say. Intel may have developed the paltform but you need to find the driver from one of the three primary audio vendors.

You can try this detection tool:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/detect.htm

If it doesn't work and you can't identif which of the vendors (listed below) is the one that manufactured your AC'97 controller then you'll just have to try to find drivers from all of them (if they don't match they will refuse to install in most cases). Assuming it is 32 bit OS you should have some luck, I've given up on 64-bit OS's on some controllers and reverted the OS.

Vendors (source: Intel http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020642.htm)
Realtek
IDT (formerly Sigmatel)
ADI (SoundMAX)

DanB91

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
The detection program doesn't work and I don't think the audio chip was HD.

When I formatted the computer last time it took me a long time to find it. I think it was called legend or something like that. Is there such an audio company with a name like that?

DanB91

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I guess your right. I was really hoping to avoid buying a sound card but I guess that is my only choice right now.

I still can't believe it's like these drivers don't exist

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
To be honest with you that kind of thing is supposed to just work in windows 7. Both times I've installed it it came up with sounds before I installed any drivers.

Just make sure that whatever you get at least says it has vista drivers, since you can install those anyway and it should just work to begin with.

Check your device manager to see if the audio thing is even detected at all by windows and has a yellow question mark by it. You could try right clicking that and telling to install a driver and see if it just finds it. If it isn't there then its either broken, disabled or somehow totally not compatible.

DanB91

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Well both the etherent and the audio jack didnt work at first (showed up as yellow question mark).

Eventually found the ethernet driver online with the help of EVEREST. With the audio driver I think I've done everything. I have force installed drivers and scanned the entire computer for them.

The most success I have gotten was a pop sound from the speakers from a realtek driver, but nothing beyond that.

qazxcbb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
In my spare parts build I used an old MSI mobo with the ac'97 chipset. Booted ok but no sound.Generally(99%) those chipsets don't have driver problems, but they can burn out. Put a usb Sound 3D stick in it. Bingo!!